cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Using FTTP with an ASUS RT-AX82U router - the setup. How's it done?

Go to solution

Hello, I'm on Virgin Media and within a few months, I am going to be moving to a property where FTTP is available, and I intend to take my ASUS RT-AX82U router with me to use that instead of the BT Hub. My question is, during the setup of the router, is there anything I should know?

With VM I had to select "automatic IP" and set DHCP to "continuous mode" for it to work. Are either of these things necessary?

What I do know is that you select PPPoE as your connection type, and if it asks for an ISP username and password, it's bthomehub@btbroadband.com with the password as BT. Is there anything else I should know, or?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Using FTTP with an ASUS RT-AX82U router - the setup. How's it done?

Go to solution

Use the quick internet setup on the router and follow the instructions,

For loads of more detailed guidance see here 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry, that doesn't help. : ( I don't feel like sifting through thousands of forum posts until I (hopefully) find the answer I need. It's also why I made a forum post here directly on BT's own forums for easy access to said answer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@Sinuous 

It should be easy using the quick setup as @stevebrass indicates.

I think the only thing you need to know in addition is that the username required should be xxxx@btbroadband.com where xxxx is anything you want but most use bthomehub and a password of bt or anything you want really.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Did you ever get this set up? I am on FTTP and just bought the same router Asus RT-AX82U but cannot get it working with the smart hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

You don't use the SH2, you connect the Asus directly to the ONT

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Are you thinking of the ASUS DSL-AX82U model?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

No.

With FTTP, the ONT is the modem

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@Dungiven 

Are you using Digital Voice? If so you must use the SH2.

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Yes i was but since using the Asus since this morning the landline no longer works..might be able to live without it. (digital phone came as part of bundle). i am guessing BT hybrid connect service will not work with the Asus router? I do not have it yet but have been offered it free of charge..perhaps it can be used as a stand alone product but would like to hear from anyone who has managed to get it working with a non BT router or without any router at all.

0 Ratings