cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

WIFI dropping intermittently.

BT1.jpgBT2.jpgBT3.jpgWe moved to full Fibre last year and since changing from copper to Full Fibre we get an intermittent fault and signal drops completely.

We lived with it for a while, hoping it would settle down, but it hasn't.

We have had numerous visits including new router and ONT box, but still the same issue.

Around 2 months ago a BT home tech expert came out, witnessed and recorded the fault.
He confirmed what we had been finding (internet dropping - see pictures) and he noted huge peaks and troughs in the signal coming in. He confirmed fault was outside the property.
Openreach came 3 times and said couldn’t find fault. They have subsequently missed the last 5 appointments as they say they have no issue and keep causing the fault.
I have asked BT and Openreach to meet together at our house but they won’t allow it…!
BT are now saying they will send out an Openreach engineer one more time and then basically say that after that we will get a letter confirming they will do no more.
Wife has taken 4 days off work - with wage loss
So poor Internet and and although one of their engineers has admitted and found a fault they will not rectify it  - Customer service so disrespectful

For Ref: All lights on incoming fibre box are green and hub stays blue. It is intermittent in that I will look to load a page on my phone (BBC or Facebook for example), and it says no internet connection or tries to take me to install a router!

Also - if I use my hub as a "BT hotspot" customer (running at 32mps rathe that the 500 we have paid for), it works fine.

The BT engineer did submit his report and sent it over. Open reach have been made aware of his findings, but they do a light test and everything is ok as far as they are concerned, however that is just one small moment in time and as mentioned the fault is intermittent. He did it on a laptop via the hub

Latest - we have been advised by BT that this is the last time they will arrange an engineer. If he can’t find anything we will get a letter basically telling us to like it or lump it!
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: WIFI dropping intermittently.

do you currently have the older hub shown in your post of do you have the newer SH2?

if lights on ONT stay green and hub lights blue then if you have ethernet connected devices do they drop internet connection as well or is it only your wifi devices?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi - We have the newer SH2. The image in my post is what comes up on my phone / ipad when the connection drops.

It is only WIFI devices as we don't have any direct connected ethernet devices.

Regards

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

No, you don't know if it is just WiFi if you don't have any Ethernet devices to test with.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Good point. The only device I could check it with is my laptop - but it doesnt have an ethernet port!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

However - as I did mention, the BT home tech expert who came did test with a hard wired laptop and did get massive peaks and troughs with the signal

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

as I posted and @licquorice  you really need to be able to check with ethernet connection to see if internet is the problem or just your device having wifi problems

did you change the wifi channels from auto to manual and also select a fixed les congested channel?  did you try changing wifi mode from 1 to either 2 or 3 and see if that makes a difference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@robcheese wrote:

However - as I did mention, the BT home tech expert who came did test with a hard wired laptop and did get massive peaks and troughs with the signal

Actually you didn't mention he did the test with an Ethernet connection.

Did he connect his laptop directly to the ONT or the Hub can you remember?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Apologies - you are correct I didnt mention it was ethernet connected.

It was connected via the hub

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Did he actually measure the incoming light level at the ONT? If you have had new ONTs and Hubs it points to either a faulty splice or dirty fibre connector somewhere.

0 Ratings