cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Water gushing out of BT pipe

I have had water gushing out of the internal pipe that feeds the FTTP cable to my property (internal garage). I’ve contacted BT a few times raised a complaint but all I get is that someone will ring within 48 “working hours” to make an appointment for an engineer, which might be Monday and god knows how long it will be before we get an actual appointment.

It has damaged two pieces of furniture, I’m having to leave garage door open to allow the water to get out.

How do I get this escalated, surely it’s not acceptable to leave it that long?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Water gushing out of BT pipe

@Siggy75 

Its Openreach you need to contact, not BT Retail.

Openreach look after the external network.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/damage-health-and-safety

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I tried ringing open reach and they said that number is only for damaged equipment outside of property, eg poles, street boxes. They said I have to go through BT.

Water stopped gushing this morning. Still no contact from BT or Openreach. Just got to hope it doesn’t rain too much this weekend. Appalling service. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Try clicking on the "AI" EiVA icon on the lower right and filling the eventually offered damage/complaint form.

Honestly you are probably better now the flow as stopped is removing some of the water if still filled to the brim and getting a can of expanding foam which should set and stop the flow.

Starman_0-1668792644728.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

This duct would have been put there by the house builders and they should have sealed it for this very reason.

Stick some expanding foam down it as I doubt any normal engineer is going to carry the duct sealing kit with them.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Developers that follow Openreach guidelines regarding underground service, bring the OR duct up on the outside wall of a property, in part for this very reason , why a builder would bring the duct up on the inside of a property, even if it’s in the garage is bizarre, and as already said , should they bring the duct up on the inside , a duct seal is necessary, not just for water ingress , but as a potential gas seal too.

Are BT your provider ? ,it’s unclear if BT are , or you have conflated  BT and OR  as the same entity, if you don’t have service from BT Consumer, the issue has nothing to do with BT , and it would be whoever you use for service that would be your first point of contact , you could try reporting to Openreach directly, but you could find that your issue doesn’t closely align with the usual reasons for contacting OR rather than your own provider ( like wires hanging from a telegraph pole , which would be a safety issue )

0 Ratings