cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Well this is awkward

Go to solution

Hello

I was having an old electric doorbell removed because a new front door and doorframe is being fitted soon so cables that came through the door frame that powered the doorbell had to go. 

Unfortunately one of those old cables turned out to be the old bt phone line which supplies our broadband so unwittingly i cut off our bt broadband. My better half works from home so this is kinda a big deal. I informed bt and they arranged an engineer to come the next working week

My other half took this opportunity to tell me she was never happy with the bt broadband as when it cut out it kicked her off all company systems and she had to keep logging back in to multiple programs regularly . So i arranged for Virgin services to start again ( saturday) and cancelled the bt repair ( tuesday)

my question is this. Am I ok leaving it at that as my bt contract ends in January and wont be renewing , then just cancel the service?

Or am I obliged in some way to have the bt line restored to my property? I've not damaged anything outside our house just cut the internal cable and pulled it out of the door frame and trimmed it.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Well this is awkward

Go to solution

If you cancel the repair and either allow your contract to end ( continuing to pay without actually using it ) and serve notice to quit later , or quit now and pay a small ETC , the only real problem would be if you or another occupant ( if you moved out and someone else moved in ) ordered service from an Openreach based provider , obviously services wouldn’t simply ‘start’ without intervention, so a fault would need to be raised for that new person ( or you should you leave VM again ) .
Should OR FTTP become available, then it wouldn’t matter as the existing copper would be redundant anyway and a new ‘optical fibre’ cable provided , which wouldn’t go through the door frame .

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Cheers! I'll run down my contract then quit.
When virgin contract ends may try bt FTTP but as you can imagine i was in a bit of a tight spot
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Just in case you weren't aware, you need to give 30 days notice of termination. So do that a month before your contract ends.

It should be slightly cheaper to give notice now as you won't be charged whatever BT pay Openreach.