cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

When will BT offer consumer full fibre with faster upload? (synchronous)

Hi, 

Are there any plans for offerening a faster upload speed on BT full fibre ? Fast download speeds are great, but with so much cloud usage these days, 120mbps doesnt cut it. We need a synchronous fibre option. Are there plans for this? 

Thank

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: When will BT offer consumer full fibre with faster upload? (synchronous)

Openreach are soon bringing out a Symmetrical 1Gbps Service but from what I can tell it will only be available to people on Adtran Head Ends.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/08/openreach-reveal-uk-plan-to-launch-symmetric-1gbps-ftt...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the link 🙂 That all makes sense now, after reading about GPON. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Yah, am also interested in a bit more upload speed, mostly so I can access my stuff over VPN faster than 10MB/s, but it does suffice. It irks me slightly that altnets are doing 900/900Mbps for like 40 quid....but I can only get Openreach where I am, truespeed stopped at my neighbours 😕

I think the reality today and going forward for a while will be that you'll need a business leased line if you want 1Gb up and down, for residential I wish Openreach would open up the 200Mbps upload that is apparently available rather than offering 1.5Gb down...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Openreach do not need to open anything, if a higher speed is available it is up to the ISP's to buy it and offer to their customers.

All various Openreach plans are available to all ISP's.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Semantics mate...

What I mean is Openreach charge an absolute arm and a leg for the 200Mbps service, installation cost is crazy and the monthly price huge, all apparently to discourage people from buying it and to choose business services if you wish to have higher speeds.

naylor2006_0-1725906733853.png

One of the only ISP's I can find that offer it.

The good folks over at Think Broadband told me its deliberately priced this way because for 600 a month, like I have at work, you can get a 1Gb leased line which I assume doesnt load up the residential equipment.

But if you consider that its around 40 quid a month for a new customer to an altnet to get 1Gb up and down...and yet openreach are passing on pricing like this to their consumers...then this is what I mean when I say Openreach should 'open up' to allowing residentials to order this service. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings