cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Full fibre flat install.

Go to solution

Bt came the other day and have fitted the wiring for our block of flats to have full fibre. They have put a small box outside each door for the full fibre.My telephone socket and router are right at the other end of my property from the front door and it is quite a run from the front door to the router and phone location.

Am i correct in thinking they will only run 15m of cable from the box to my router and phone socket as the run is longer so no point in ordering it and wasting a day of leave to get the product installed for them to say no.

I have attached. apic of the box outside my door.

Thanks.PXL_20240908_130051302~2.jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Full fibre flat install.

Go to solution

There is no requirement for the ONT ( the internal equipment provided with FTTP ) to be sited near the existing copper pair master socket ( unless that’s what you want ) , if you do want that , the FTTP  installer will probably do it  ( it really depends on the practicality of the request, and amount of time it would take ) 

If telephony is taken with FTTP the phone plugs into the router ( and that  plugs into the ONT ) so the master socket is effectively redundant anyway 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I have Digital voice already but i want the router etc where it is situated now as that is where I have tv etc.I just thought you could only have 15  of cabling from the outside box above door to the router etc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
The notional amount of internal cable is 30m ( AFAIK ) but it’s more the practical limitations and time restraints , 35m on a straightforward run is more likely to be doable than 20m over many door frames and along inaccessible skirting boards ….anyone in a situation where the ONT cannot be placed where they really want it placed ( because the installer refuses to locate there ) are at liberty to run an Ethernet connection themselves from the ONT to the preferred router location.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

As iniltous said, but I would add that an ethernet cable from the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to the router could, in theory, be up to 100m without issue.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
"I have Digital voice already but i want the router etc where it is situated now as that is where I have tv etc.I just thought you could only have 15 of cabling from the outside box above door to the router etc."

The outside box does not connect directly to your router. It connects to the ONT which has to be inside your flat and has a power supply that needs an electricity socket. You can then have as long an ethernet cable as you like to connect the ONT to your router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

So i can have as much cable as i want from the box outside door to the ONT ? The last BT rep i spoke to on the phone when i decided to cancel my installation did not seem to know what he was doing as he did not put up a fight when i said i wanted to cancel my appointment.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

No you can’t have as much cable as you want from the box outside to the ONT ,

Its as already described, if the cable route to where you want the ONT located   isn’t going be overly time consuming for the installer , and isn’t too far ( more than 30 meters ) from the box outside , you should be OK (  assuming your preferred location meets these guidelines as well as having a power outlet close by )

As far as the ISP not putting up a fight if you cancelled , why would they , if you don’t want service that’s up to you , if your reason to cancel was because you suspect the installer wouldn’t do what you want because it’s outside the guidelines quoted , it’s better for the ISP and Openreach if you cancel now , rather than waste the installer time on the day , but TBH , it doesn’t sound too problematic  , chances are your installation is doable anyway .

FWIW , the  ISP ( BT )  do not  do the installation  , that’s Openreach or an Openreach contractor.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

No, you can have up to 100m from the ONT to the router, but that will be your responsibility to provide.

How far the Openreach tech is prepared to run the fibre from the external box to the ONT is up to them on the day.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
No, that's not what I said.
I said you can have as much ethernet cable as you like between the ONT and your router. The ONT is normally installed on an inside wall close to where the outside box is located, so the outside box to ONT fibre optic cable is kept as short as possible
0 Ratings