cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Why after at at least 3 years of promises of full fibre don't we have it.

Go to solution

I stayed with BT as they said they would upgrade to full fibre to premises "Soon".
All that happened is my bill go's up each year for the last 4 years. I did work from home but am now retired.
Seems a bit of  a P*** Take to me. 

EX IT manager for gov dept/programming brackground so no daft answers please 🙂 

Though the service is reliable everytime I put in a search to see when I will get an upgrade at my postcode I don't get any sort of date.

Is it just a con to stop people moving to other providers, it's beginning to seem like it to me.
Opinions please...

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Why after at at least 3 years of promises of full fibre don't we have it.

Go to solution

BT retail just like SKY, TT have no control over when or where fibre will be installed as that is down to openreach.  unless there is Virgin or an Altnet available to you then moving to another provider that uses openreach will not get you fibre any sooner

check  https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

enter phone number https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Every time I try that I get not yet available (tried several times), but everytime BT contact me they say its imminent.
Yes I am aware that openreach is now separate from BT and has been for several years). So are BT users penalised deliberately for some reason then as there are other providers in the area offering full fibre.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

BTW do you not think it unreasonable for a company to offer something and then not provide but stil charge the same price for  a product. I certainly do.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@Stillnofibre 

any other providers in your area offering FTTP are not using the openreach network but as I said either virgin or other altnets with there own equipment.  however if you know of another provider using openreach FTTP then please post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I cannot follow your logic ,’do you not think it unreasonable for a company to offer something and then not provide but stil charge the same price for  a product’ 

BT charge for the speed of the service, this is the product , irrespective of the medium it’s provided over , so if you were on Fibre Essential 40Mb , the price is the same regardless of FTTP or FTTC, obviously some on long lines may not get 40Mb on FTTC , whereas they would on FTTP , but that’s a consequence of the technology, some one close enough to the FTTC cab ( and that’s the majority) will get the full 40Mb if that’s the profile they purchase, someone on FTTP has the option of faster profiles , but they cost more .

OR are rolling out FTTP at a pace greater than any Alt Net , but obviously they cannot provide everywhere simultaneously.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

My problem is that they have entered in to an agreement to provide it which is why I am on the package I am on but I think waiting 3 years is excessive don't you? Especially when they keep offering me a package upgrade which is the one I  am on already and supposed to be full fibre. 

Openreach and BTs contractual arrangements are not really the issue. 

I see openreach vans everyday in my area. At one point 6 months back I saw some other contractors  (not openreach ) and as they had the pavement up outside my door I  enquired causally what they were doing. They said we are putting in fibre optic cabling for your area.

Well obviously not for BT customers I guess.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I am paying for a service I am not getting. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@Stillnofibre 

you are paying for a service which you are getting as per your agreed contract.  If you are no longer in fixed term contract with BT then just leave and move to ISP who will provide you with FTTP - but will not be openreach

Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Yep thats my point. It looks like that's my only remedy I guess.  

0 Ratings