cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Wi-Fi dropping me off network when family members arrive home and connect to Wifi

I don't know if anyone can help me please?  I am working from home at the moment and connecting to my work stuff through a VPN connection.  Whenever a family member walks through the front door and connects to the home Wi-Fi, it knocks me off of Wi-Fi and I loose my VPN connection as well.  Is there some sort of sharing option, that I should be setting up?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wi-Fi dropping me off network when family members arrive home and connect to Wifi

At a guess, you have an IP address clash, i.e. two or more devices trying to use the same IP address.

Message 3 of 5

Re: Wi-Fi dropping me off network when family members arrive home and connect to Wifi

Thank-you Les-Gibson.  Sorry for my naivety, is it not possible for two or more devices to use the same IP?  The IP being the Wi-Fi Hub.  Shouldn't it allow multiple devices to connect e.g. laptop, phones etc to be connected at the same time.

Message 4 of 5

No.

The hub has a public IP address which is allocated by your ISP but each device on your home network (each PC, Laptop, Mobile Phone etc) has a local IP address which is allocated by your hub

Each IP address (be it public or local) is unique to one device, problems start when you have an IP contention, i.e. two devices or more trying to use the same IP address.

It sounds to me as if more than one device on your network is trying to use the same IP address your machine is using, you would only see this when the contending devices were all powered up and connected to the network.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Does this happen when anybody tries to connect to your network or does it only happen when one specific person tries to to connect. ie is it only happening with one specific device tries to connect?

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds?

0 Ratings