cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Wildant Fiber Installer

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question but I have BT broadband Halo 3 through my phone line.  A company called Wildanet is putting in Fiber Optic cables in my street.  Does BT use these cables if I order full fiber to the house or do they lay their own cables?  

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wildant Fiber Installer

wildanet is an altnet and nothing to do with BT who use openreach 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your quick reply. I suppose then that Openreach would need to lay their own cables and that would be a real pain, the Wildanet work is causing a lot of disruption. I think I will be sticking to my phonline broadband then.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@Stephen15 Openreach often utilise their own ducting or overhead network when installing fibre. We've had City Fibre installing round our way and it looks like their going in through existing underground infrastructure. They laid the fibre for our street in one day with minimal disruption, hopefully Openreach will be as quick because I wouldn't touch any of the ISP's using City Fibre with a very long bargepole that belongs to someone else..

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

They have taken around 2 weeks to lay these cables and I didn't see any ducting. It will be interesting to see if BT offers full fiber in this area soon.  Thanks for your reply. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

CityFibre were in the local area for a week or so but they did quite a large area with hardly any digging so they may have been using the Virgin Media ducting and just pulling through... Can't fault those guys but luckily were on G-Fast at 100mpbs+ so not in any rush for full fibre 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Virgin Media , unlike Openreach are not required to allow competitors access to their network infrastructure, so they don’t , if CF have installed their cables without any excavation to provide their own ducts etc, then they will have ( via PIA ) used Openreach infrastructure