cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 47

Will BT/Openreach install FTTP free of charge?

Looks like fibre is being installed in my rural road finally and I'm wondering if FTTP will be included in the work that the contractors are doing?  Or will it just be fibre to the nearest telephone pole and then I'll have to settle for the existing copper connection to the house?

If the latter, can I arrange a private contractor to extend fibre to the premises?

As you'll see from the diagram, my neighbours have already had communication cables installed on their private access track (teal coloured line), which I'm assuming is fibre cable but I'm unsure if they've installed this privately, having had prior knowledge of the planned fibre installation or if Openreach are doing this work for them.

Annoyingly my neighbours have all had notice of the planned works and have had time to prepare whereas I've not heard anything, despite being the closest property to the road.  Unless this is why I have not been notified because the work involved in getting my FTTP is minimal and less hassle?

For FTTP to work, does the street need a junction box/exchange and then houses connect into that, rather than a tee off a fibre cable?

Would Openreach have carried out the work getting fibre up a private access track to a property or will this have been done privately? (Its probably a good 300 yards of access farm track up to that property so I'd kind of surprised if OR did this for them!)

Will the fact that my copper phone cables are overhead and not underground affect how they will replace my copper with fibre?Fibre in the road diagram.png

0 Ratings
46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47

Re: Will BT/Openreach install FTTP free of charge?

What does it say for your address https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome ? Post results here but exclude your address

What does Openreach say for your address in terms if your property is included as part of their full fibre rollout plans? https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 47

What does it say for your address https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome ? Post results here but exclude your address

So this is for my address but I also put in the details of the properties who have received notice and getting same results which is a bit odd considering they've already started work on the private side of those!

No availability on the generic broadband availability checker and has never been.  Again, when I type in the postcodes of people carrying out the work, still no fibre planned in the area.  I even called OR and they had no record of any work going on on this road or area!

Current Broadband Status - Home.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 47

Are you sure it was Openreach and not an alternative network infrastructure provider?

FTTP on Demand is available to you but is usually only provided by business grade providers with either an installation fee in the £thousands or a high service fee.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 47

I should clarified in my OP, I went out and spoke to the contractors to find out this very thing, and they said it was definitely public infrastructure on behalf of Openreach.  As they werent openreach engineers, I didnt push the topic of why I hadn't heard anything or if they would provide FTTP to my house from the line or CBT.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 47

@camy 

the dslchecker will only show FTTP available when all the work is completed and FTTP is available to order and until then there will be nothing shown

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 47

Afraid all you can do is fill in the Openreach form and wait: https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form

Also keep an eye out on local roadworks using tools such as https://one.network/

Otherwise you could go the FTTP on Demand route and pay

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 47

the dslchecker will only show FTTP available when all the work is completed and FTTP is available to order and until then there will be nothing shown

This should be directed at the previous poster?  But yeah that makes sense.  I checked all these resources once they started the work and nothing seemed to show.  I'm assuming it could take a few months to complete and show availability anyways.  So for now I'm just asking some related questions regarding FTTP from the pole etc.

I'm super paranoid they will miss me out and all my neighbours with sit there with their full fibre and me stuck with 4mbps!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 47

Thanks @jac_95 but at the moment I just had a few related questions rather than a timescale on when the area would start providing tariffs etc.  I appreciate your input though.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 47

are you an existing BT Retail customer?  how does your existing phone line enter the house?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings