cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 47

Re: Will BT/Openreach install FTTP free of charge?

@imjolly  or anyone else from this thread.

Sort of a related query, I ran into one of my neighbours yesterday, who is one of the residents who haven't been notified of Fibre being installed in the area, and he asked me what I also hinted at earlier:

Would Openreach install the private section of FTTP, no matter this distance?  So on my earlier diagram one of the other neighbours has already had the private length (house to CBT) installed but its difficult to know who paid for this. Its a distance of probably 300 yards, round and up a windy private farm track. 

If OR are paying and installing this for them, I'm interested how that works for timescales as I managed to hold of someone at OR about my overall concerns and they've stated the CBT probably wont be active until July 2024.    Seems a bit early to be installing the private side of the FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 47

@camy 

from other forum posts just because the CBT is installed on poles the main system  may not be installed for weeks/months and in some cases years or no date given.  there is no way to tell

In my on case from seeing the CBT installed on poles I was only 2 weeks to be able to order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 43 of 47

You have already been given the information, if your neighbour hasn’t requested and paid for FTTPod or is part of a Community Funded Project , then  any work from the CBT ( on the pole on a public road  ) to your neighbours property hasn’t been provided/funded  by Openreach, it’s just not the way a commercial build FTTP area is provided.

If this  neighbour has done some  work by arranging it themselves , to get fibre or duct and fibre to their property, then unless they have managed to obtain some Openreach optical cable of the correct type , then any work they have done independently may be of no use whatsoever to Openreach when they eventually start to take orders on this apparently ‘native’ WBC FTTP network that Openreach have provided and are probably still constructing , if it were finished and commissioned addresses directly served by the poles with CBT on them would show FTTP availability.

Once the FTTP network is installed, commissioned , and ready for service , ISP’s ( like BT , but not limited to BT ) can raise orders , if the installed CBT was designed to easily reach the applicants property ( as in your case ) the installation is covered by the standard installation fee , this cost may well be absorbed by the ISP and amortised over the 24 month term of the contract, those that would not be deemed to a simple install, like your neighbours at the end of a 300 metre private road will not get an installation done like this , they will pay excess construction costs or have to negotiate with OR , but only after the network is ready for service, not before.

You still don’t even know under what arrangement this neighbour has had this work done , you don’t know under what scheme ( FTTPod , native, CFP ) the existing FTTP equipment was installed ( but not yet ready for service ) , and it’s all somewhat moot in your case , as it seems you are a standard install once the network is RFS ( ready for service ) , you seem unduly concerned about your neighbours arrangements.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 47

You still don’t even know under what arrangement this neighbour has had this work done , you don’t know under what scheme ( FTTPod , native, CFP ) the existing FTTP equipment was installed ( but not yet ready for service )

This is correct, hence my enquiries.

and it’s all somewhat moot in your case , as it seems you are a standard install once the network is RFS ( ready for service ) , you seem unduly concerned about your neighbours arrangements.

As per my latest comment, I'm now asking on behalf of another neighbour who is about the same distance away from the CBT but other direction.  He was asking what my understanding was about OR carrying out the work to get fiber from the CBT to his house.  Or if he'd have to do that work himself.  From what you're saying, sounds like he'd have to do the work himself and even then, that'll only be installing ducting and not the cables themselves.  But knowing my luck, OR will probably give him FTTP and I'll still be staring at the CBT from my window wishing and hoping! 🙂

FTTPod or is part of a Community Funded Project

I doubt this will be the case for any of the residents who've been notified that fibre is coming to the area, as we're talking about less than 5 residents, none of whom are commercial, and they are spaced hundreds of yards apart.

then any work they have done independently may be of no use whatsoever to Openreach when they eventually start to take orders on this apparently ‘native’ WBC FTTP network that Openreach have provided and are probably still constructing

This is what is so confusing about the whole thing, whether they have done this work themselves, or OR are indeed installing a fibre comms cable on their private side, surely its way too early in the process for them to get/do this.  Like you say, if OR are only just installing the CBT now, it could be a long time before it's even publicly available and its certainly not showing in any of the websites suggested here that FTTP is available or even pending for these postcodes. 

Only answers I can see to this are that the CBT is being activated way sooner than OR are letting on and the residents have been advised it'll be available in a matter of weeks/months so if they want FTTP, they need to start installing fibre on their private side ASAP.

Or OR are doing all this work for them but means connectivity might not be available for some time.

Or the resident in question is jumping the gun and just assuming fibre will be available from that telephone pole/CBT at some point because OR have told them 'its coming to your area', and they are privately installing cabling their side to be ready for it.  

The latter being a rather expensive gamble and probably less likely scenario.  Given the resident in question is not tech savvy, I'm honestly wondering if OR are doing all for this for them and that CBT will be activated way sooner than I'm being told.  They will have fiber within a couple of months and I'm waiting until 2024 because there arent enough ports on the CBT for my house!

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 47

You are totally overthinking this, just wait and see what happens.  As stated previously, it has nothing to do with BT and any replies to this thread will be pure conjecture.

Message 46 of 47

@camy

this is now going OTT

just need to wait and see when and if FTTP becomes available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 47 of 47

Thanks folks. I'll pass my neighbour what I've learnt here so far and hopefully it all works out.  If I receive any useful info that might help others who come across this thread, I'll post it up.

0 Ratings