cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Wish they would connect me already.

Hello readers.

So I made the decision to ditch Virgin Media for a faster connection with better prices, I ordered BT FTTP 900 on 2nd of February. I cancelled my service with Virgin a month and a half ago which ended on the 4th of March. On the 4th of March the Openreach FTTP installer came as promised, he installed and wired up everything, took the cable down the length of the drainpipe (I'm in a top floor flat) and along to the black box connection point only to find out that the red light on the modem, red light is solid on LOS. He went down to the front door of the flats, went up his ladder and tested out the black box above the door. It seems that the ones that are connected to it have signal, but the empty sockets have no signal at all, hence red light on LOS when connecting my cable. He thinks it could be to do with a splitter in the pit, under the pavement (why was it not all connected to begin with? Why did they not check it was all working in the month that it took before the install date?). I called BT on my phone in the evening of the 4th and explained it all to the lady, she sent out a 4g EE wireless mini hub which arrived on Sunday 6th, problem is it is far too slow to be able to allow myself and my partner to be working at the same time (its an old solid stone building so the signal is weak and it is only a 30mb connection ), resulting in stress and loss of income. The lady on the phone said she would get the phoenix team to look in to it which should be within the next 5 working days. Well, needless to say, here we are on the 13th and still solid red light on LOS on modem. Can I please be connected so I can wake up from this nightmare? 

Thanks.

(pictures for reference below)

pictures 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wish they would connect me already.

Are you dealing with the FTTP TEAM 08005874787. If not phone them and see if they can help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I called 08007831401 on the evening of March 4th, pressed the appropriate numbers and was put through to the lady who said she would contact the phoenix team to deal with it. She said she will also call me on Tuesday 15th to find out the progress.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I was put through to a lady at the fibre team in Dundee.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

So, an openreach engineer has just been, tested the CBT connections as the install guy did, and apparently found out that it is a splitter, just as the install guy said. Though the engineer said it is down a manhole on the road so is out of hours work. The saga continues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

That is a major disadvantage with FTTP, because if a fault occurs at a splitter, or other common point, then a PEW (Planned Engineering Work) has to be arranged. This has to be done out of hours, and customers  need to be warned about it, so don`t expect any quick resolution.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

So an update and possibly the conclusion to this, I am connected now. After countless engineers coming over and testing the CBT box over and over again even though the engineer notes from previous engineers were there to tell the issue. The fault at the splitter down the manhole at the end of the road is still there. Two guys came over yesterday who specialize in cabling in blocks of flats attended. They extended my cable ran it through the building and plugged it in to a CBT box around the back of the flats for the back facing buildings instead of the inactive one at the front where my flat is and I am supposed to be plugged in to. After speaking to them they were aware of the splitter fault at the end of the road and said it has been like that for some time. Its cheaper for them to send over 2 engineers to extend the cable than to close a road. So.. Yeah, it is what it is!

0 Ratings