cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Wrong cabinet + FTTP

Hi All, I moved in the entrance of a small village about 4 years ago. At the time, superfast broadband had just been implemented. 

Unfortunately our house was missed off and we appear to still.be connected to an old cabinet about 1.5 miles down the road, in the next village...

At the time, I could get about 5mb at a push. I decided to leave and conenct through wireless internet where I get about 30mb although very unreliably.

I had numerous exchanges with BT and openreach, with the support of an ex telecoms engineer who helped me with the technicalities. Unfortunately I was in the middle of two organisations rejecting responsibility so never got anywhere, after probably 50 emails and numerous phone calls.

I want to give this another go though as I believe (and so does the local engineer) that it's likely a straight forward switch (they looked underground and identified there was a possibility to simply add a new cable from the cabinet to my house).

As an alternative, I was wondering whether I could get FTTP on demand. I have run the below test and it seems contradictory. Can someone help me please and also suggest who I should re-engage with since I am not a customer anymore (but would like to be).

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wrong cabinet + FTTP

First and foremost, this is a BT retail forum and has no connection with Openreach  who would be responsible for the work

As simple as it may look, it just isn't going to happen but you can try Openreach again if you like.

FTTPoD is an extremely expensive product aimed at business, you need to be thinking in terms of tens of thousands of pounds construction costs.

I've deleted your duplicate post BTW.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Many Thanks and apologies for the duplicate post. So I would love to contact openreach but they specify on their website that they don't want to deal with the general public and I am yet to find a phone mumber. Any ideas how to contact them? Many Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Enter your address and post the results and see what is available to you. Openreach will not change your cabinet connection just to improve your broadband. 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Screenshot_20220812-151551_Chrome~3.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

You  can request FTTPod, but not via BT , it’s an Openreach product that BT Consumer do not offer , so you would need to contact an ISP that offers this product ( FYI , it’s a product that OR periodically indicate that will be removed from sale then give it a reprieve,  ) ….as already said , it can be expensive as you pay the construction costs to get FTTP to your address , typically it’s in the order of £10k and more, obviously the larger the distance to the FTTP aggregation node , the more construction required therefore more costs.

If your relatively close neighbours now have access to FTTC ( as you say Superfast broadband presumably it’s FTTC rather that FTTP  ) then it would appear that your ‘line’ couldn’t be incorporated into whatever scheme delivered FTTC  for them , and as already stated , OR are not going to rearrange the copper network , or build new copper network just to give you an uplift especially if your property is relatively remote and secluded from others , and only you , or a very small number would benefit , OR isn’t a charity and as you already have access to a Superfast provider , you don’t have a USO case ( it’s unfortunate that the provider isn’t delivering a reliable enough service for your liking) 

Eventually you will get FTTP and the speeds that provides , but that may be some years away, you choices are , wait for native FTTP, pay for FTTPod, ( while it’s available) use mobile/Alt Net or move.

0 Ratings