cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

5G speed

I've recently upgraded my phone, which now has 5G.

However when I do a speed test its the same speed as 4G, yet I have 5G symbol on the network and 5G sim plan, is there anything I need to do online to make it go faster?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: 5G speed

5G speeds are a bit flakey but the latency is a lot lower. 

Typically due to contention ratios, you won't see much faster than 4G especially if you're on multiple 4G connections.

I can get 100mbps+ on 4G in Leicester 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I would have thought I should be getting a faster speed than 4G though?

Between 60 Mbps–1 Gbps?

Also less people are on 5G too compared to 4G.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Its highly unlikely you'll get anywhere near a gig. A few friends of mine are on 5G and I've never seen them get over 150mbps. 

5G has better compression and gives a better overall connection speed but it's all theoretical.

Like all the latest technologies, we've been sold a dream where the reality is nowhere near the dream 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I've had over 200mbs a few times on 5G and about 330mbs once. A place near me has just gone to 5G but the speeds are currently the same as I was getting on 4G. 

It varies as it does with 4G, you can get over 100mbs on 4G or if you come to outside my house you'll be lucky if you get 2mbs.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I have seen just over 600Mbit a couple of times but as the 5G networks fill up it has dropped more and more, i tend to get between 100 and 300Mbit these days in quieter areas but in cities etc i can see 30 or 40Mbit. The difference is it still works where as 4G would be swamped as the cell filled up.

0 Ratings