cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Wifi app no longer works on Android 9 mobile phones

I have just replied to the BT Wifi feedback with the following message.

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the reply and explanation of why I am unable to install/use the BT Wifi app on my Android 9 Huawei P10 phone.

A couple of observations.
  1. It is a pity that the Google Play Store page for the app does not mention that the BT Wifi app is for Android 10 and above
  2. When searching the Play Store for the app, it would have been helpful to see “Requires Android 10 and upwards” rather than “This app won’t work on your device.” See screen shot below.
  3. Had I been informed that Android 9 is not suitable I would have save a good few hours of trying to find a solution.
  4. Why can BT not direct Android 9 users to a separate BT web page to download a version of the BT Wifi app that WILL work with their phone?
  5. I have had BT landline/broadband since the last centaury and a BT Sim card for the last 8/9 years.
  6. Re #5 - I consider myself to be a loyal BT customer and am extremely disappointed that I cannot be allowed to download a previous Android 9 version of the BT Wifi app from a BT webpage.
  7. Re #6 – Windows Operation System allows you to roll back drivers if an update “breaks something”, so please suggest to the appropriate department/team that a “download older versions of the BT Wifi app” BT web page be created for dinosaurs like me still using an Android 9 mobile phone.
I have saved the BTWi-fi network on my mobile so that when I am out of the house the Android System on my phone prompts me to sign in with a remembered username/password which is not as convenient as the automatic “sign in” that I was use to.

I do hope I will be able at some point to download a previous version of the BT Wifi app for use with Android 9.Davemhlv_0-1682250665428.png

-------------------------------------------------
Fingers crossed that I can get a "Android 9" version of the app sometime.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Wifi app no longer works on Android 9 mobile phones

@Davemhlv 

just checked the app on google play and the 'more about the app' does say that you need android 10 or above for the app to work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Solved this myself - no help whatsoever available from BT but I'm a new customer so I imagine you all know that already. Alas, my solution is no longer available!

The old app, which I am using on Android9 and which works v well, was on APK until June but has now disappeared in favour of the Android10 ones only - utterly berserk.  APK was the only safe site I found while searching but it may help that our app ends in 8.0.4 (new ones 8.0.10 and 8.0.11).

The dead address that worked for me is not even on Wayback: https://apkcombo.com/bt-wi-fi/com.bt.mnie.wispr/download/phone-8.0.4-apk

Good luck and I'm very sorry for not posting this when it worked, amid my enduring other frustrations with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

This claims to offer 8.0.4 but I have no idea whether Aptoid is a safe site, so BEWARE: https://bt-wi-fi.en.aptoide.com/versions

Same here: https://www.9apps.com/android-apps/BT-Wi-fi/ 

Note that another offer imitating APK was blocked by my Malwarbytes: es.aapks.com

BEWARE, again, and good luck.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

This thread is the closest to address the problem I've been having since BT WIFI hotspots changed to EE WIFI.

An extra complication is not just which app will run on the phone, but will it work with EE WIFI.

My phone is on v8 of android and was ok connecting to BT WIFI using the 8.0.4 app. I did not realise that more recent versions did not function with v8 of android let alone v9.

I was recently trying to connect to EE WIFI with the app which was not working, even though the BT help was suggesting it should be ok there was nothing to tell me which version should be ok, obviously not v 8.0.4

I only write this reply to state that I'm resigned to the fact that there is not a BT WIFI app that will connect to EE WIFI on my current phone (v8 android). It was hard work finding this out, and understanding why.

One question remains, which version of the BT WIFI app does work with EE WIFI?, when was that update applied.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I’ve just tried this on an old android phone.

Select EE WiFi and you’re presented with welcome screen explaining how to login if you’re a BT Broadband customer and then “Log in now”. Then select “BT Broadband account” and confirm to login and then enter your BT login and it then remembers your login. So there is no need for the BT WiFi app.

The same goes for iPhones.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I get that login procedure also, but my phone does not remember the login for next time in this case. Usually with wifi it does remember the logon details but not with EE wifi.

Im due a phone upgrade!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Yes. The old phone I tried it on is running Android 12.

0 Ratings