cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Calls/texts working fine but phone cannot access any mobile data...

Go to solution

Hi

I used to be on Plusnet Mobile using 4G and my calls, wifi and mobile data worked fine.

However in October I changed to BT mobile and was set up with VoLTE (whatever that is) instead of 4G. I can use my phone OK for making calls/texts, and can access my home wifi in the house, but my phone simply will not use my mobile data to access the internet when in the street. I cannot send or receive emails, use Whats App, use any apps, google or maps etc. The notifications at the top of my phone say VoLTE next to the wifi signal strength icon, then a grayed out 4G.

I have tried many settings but have no idea what to change or look for. I cannot find VoLTE on any menus on my phone, my mobile data is set to 4G/3G/2G and there are no other options, and I am now tearing my hair out.

I am using a Motorola moto g(8) Power, which is only a year old.

Please help! Is there a simple fix, a setting to tweak, or do I need a new provider, a new phone or what?! I need to sort this out as I will be travelling soon and need my phone to be working!

Thanks in advance

Andy

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Calls/texts working fine but phone cannot access any mobile data...

Go to solution
Have you tried resetting APNs? Sounds like your handset hasn’t automatically downloaded the correct settings for data on BT and May still have the old settings.
If you go into your mobile data settings you should see APNs or Access Point Names, just click into the settings and usually in the top right corner you’ll have a menu button/3 dots and then reset to default.
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

APN settings for BT & Plusnet should be the same as both use EE. Search your settings for APN & check it's set to "everywhere" with radio button highlighted.

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

See What is VoLTE? (4g.co.uk) for a readable explanation

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi all

So I reset my APNs to their default settings, then went and looked at the results and the setting for Internet was switched off, so I made sure it said "everywhere" and switch on the radio button.

I then went for as walk to the end of the street while watching my phone - I watched the wifi signal slowly get worse as I walked away from the house and then lo and behold the 4G switched on and I could get to the internet! I can now download and send emails and whats apps, use google maps and browse the web! Fantastic!

Thank you so much ctrlz and rbz5416! Simple explanations and just what I needed - you're heroes.

And thanks also to Les-Gibson for the article - hopefully I will soon know what VoLTE actually is!

One thing, though - what exactly is a kudo?

Cheers

Andy 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@andykent1 wrote:

what exactly is a kudo?

It's just Internespeak for the ratings which you've already given to the above posts.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Got it - thanks!

Andy