cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

End of BT Mobile?

Good Morning 

Reading a few community posts here and on EE, suggesting that BT Mobile might come to an end in approximately a years time. 

I wonder what BT will do with remaining customers, like myself, not in contract and still using BT Mobile? In similar scenarios e.g. Orange / T-Mobile, will existing customers merge into EE automatically at some point.

Will existing plans be kept “as is” or merged onto another similar EE plan at different prices.

The  EE Sim Only exclusive plans available to BT customers make no reference to any data speed caps that EE have introduced onto their “essential plans”. Some clarification there would be useful. It’s very disappointing to see the fastest network is only available to those paying the most money.

For existing BT customers switching to EE, it appears EE SIM’s are sent via post with temporary numbers whilst there is an active port of the existing number in progress. With potential postal delays or lost mail although, this is a concern. A 24hr Next Day (not 1st class) Royal Mail SIM on another network took a week to arrive. EE send via 2nd class post.

Can’t help but think is it time to look for another network?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: End of BT Mobile?

@FatRascalwrote:

For existing BT customers switching to EE, it appears EE SIM’s are sent via post with temporary numbers whilst there is an active port of the existing number in progress. With potential postal delays or lost mail although, this is a concern. A 24hr Next Day (not 1st class) Royal Mail SIM on another network took a week to arrive. EE send via 2nd class post.

To answer this point specifically there should be no concern, a pac code being used means the number switches (usually within 1 working day) once the new sim connects to the network, it will only automatically do it after 30 days

Message 3 of 9

@FatRascal All BT consumer services (broadband, TV and mobile), will gradually move over to EE alternatives, the only unknown is the timeframe. 

I suspect anyone hanging on to a BT service will either be enticed across nicely or given no choice in the end as services are discontinued, but this is still only really a branding change.

All of EE's broadband and TV services are/will be rebranded versions of BT's, likewise BT Mobile is EE under the hood.

Sure it may take a couple of days to get a new SIM, but it isn't that much of a hardship IMHO, especially if you like the EE network. As @garybs29 says, you don't actually complete the change until the new SIM is in your hand.

Unlike other brands, there isn't many EE MVNO's you can move to and get the same level of coverage and speed. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 4 of 9

@stereohaven @garybs29 thanks for sharing your thoughts, had a read through.

I suspect anyone hanging on to a BT service will either be enticed across nicely or given no choice in the end as services are discontinued, but this is still only really a branding change.

Although on a technical front there is no change, it’s not really just a branding change. You are starting a new relationship, new contract and credit check, effectively with EE as a new company. The transition from one to the other could be simpler.

Message 5 of 9

I think that is just BT being inefficient as usual rather than anything nefarious, I agree it should be simpler. 

I suspect someone in a compliance/legal role needed to justify their existence by moving some paperwork around. 

————————————————————-
Message 6 of 9

If you want a clue as to what might happen, take a look at what is happening with Plusnet Mobile, (also part of BT Group):

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Plusnet-Mobile-total-shutdown/td-p/1920026

Message 7 of 9

Maybe a good idea to get ahead of the curve and choose a new network ahead of time.

Hearing good things about Tesco mobile

Thanks for sharing the link @Paul608085 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Mum uses Tesco Mobile, good service in store, good value plans and they have just started turning on WiFi calling, which is important because it uses O2 and she can't get a signal in most places around where she lives! 🤣

Top tip with any MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator), ignore  coverage maps and reviews, focus on which underlying network powers it (there is only 4 networks after all), buy a super cheap SIM from somewhere without a contract and test coverage properly where you spend most of your time before you commit.

————————————————————-
Message 9 of 9

I renewed my BT SIMO only on 11th May (email offer) so you've got at least 12 months to go. They did say that because it was only a 12 month contract I was ok, but a 24 month contract was a no no.

You can read into that as you like?