cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Data Roaming

For the second time in 6 months I am disappointed in BT when using my mobile abroad. I have visited Turkey many times and never had a problem before. When landing in Turkey my phone switched to their network, I recieved messages from BT and off I went. All good. However, a few months ago, before even exiting the airport, my phone stted I had reached my cap limit and roaming had therefore been disabled. I suspect this was due to Brexit and BT no longer has an agreement with Turkey. I contacted BT on my return and they said Turkey was no longer in the Roam Like Home countries that allow data roaming, I have the Add On. Last week, we went to Portugal for a few days, I checked and yes Portugal is included in the Roam Like Home countries, so I wasn't expecting any problems. On landing in Porto, nothing, no messages from BT and no roaming. I connected to the airports wifi and tried to look at my settings, which is extremely difficult to do and it seemed the 3 roaming settings under Advanced settings had been turned off, I didnt do that so how did they get turned off? so I turned them on, it said changes will take effect in 30 mins. I spent 4 days in Porto and nothing. I tried to change my partners mobile settings that were also turned off, not by us, and it wouldn't let me. Very disappointed I have this Add On but have not been able to use it. I have checked all my phone settings and data roaming is turned on (I didnt change anything from the last time it worked, which was in Krakow last December) Am I doing something wrong somehow?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Data Roaming

if roaming had been turned off did you check when you turned back on that the spend limit for abroad is set to greater than £0 say £5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Data Roaming

I think I did, but can't confirm, so maybe that was the problem, and I've seen that answer in other posts on this forum. I don't understand why it needs to be greater than £0. If Roam Like Home is available in a country, why, surely at £0, its saying when I reached my limit stop, why do I have to set a spend above my limit? But anyway, if it does, it would be useful if BT stated that in it's settings. It advises it cannot be greater than the call spend cap, so it would be useful if it adised roaming will not work at a £0 cap send so set it at say £5. Why wasn't I able to change my partners roaming settings via the mobile MyBT app? And also, another gripe, the headline message in some places on the App, with a bright yellow background and white text is impossible to read.

0 Ratings