cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Preferentially select wifi calling

A good fraction of the time we have poor BT mobile signal inside the house so tend to use Wifi Calling. But occasionally the mobile signal is good and my wife's phone - Huawei P20 Pro - seems to latch on to the mobile signal, which at some stage during her call drops out and the call dies. She doesn't want to have to remember to turn the mobile reception on/off when she goes out/in the house.

Is there any way to tell her phone to preferentially use wifi calling if wifi is available? I had hoped the phone would switch automatically, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Preferentially select wifi calling

The following assumes that you have the Google phone dialler installed which by default is most likely not the case so you may have to download it from Google Play. It may work on the Huawei dialler but I'm not sure.

• Open the Google Phone dialler
  • Tap the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner
  • Tap Settings
  • Tap  Calls
  • Tap Wi-Fi Calling (towards the bottom of the first page) and ensure it is enabled

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

for some reason most Huawei phones have a lot of the network settings blocked for things like this. 

try to disable 4g calling or VoLTE as it’s usually this which clashes with wifi calling 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

@ctrlz that'll probably be because of the international sanctions against Huawei.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for the suggestions. A pal has a Huawei Mate20 Pro with EMUI 12 (my wife's seems to be stuck at EMUI 10 and I'm blowed if I can see how to update it). He has a lot more options including Wi-Fi+ which "automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile data".

I suppose I'll have to struggle with geting the Huawei updated. ASnd if that fails try your suggestions one by one.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

@bobdanbh this is Huawei's response on their forum to others asking about EMUI12  on P20 Pro

thank you for reaching out!

Software updates depend on your device model, region, and service provider. Please check periodically for updates on your phone.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Yes, Huawei are as secretive as the CCP. This is their standard "answer". 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

@bobdanbh 

EMUI12 is not a requirement for Wi-Fi calling, my wife's P20 pro is also on EMUI10 and Wi-Fi calling, which  I enabled in exactly the same way as I detailed earlier, works fine.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Les: I clearly didn't explain well. Sorry.

Inside our house the mobile signal is patchy. She's got Wifi calling on in EMUI 10. Sometimes her phone choses mobile but the mobile signal strength drops mid-call and Wifi Calling doesn't pick up. (I don't know if it should, but it doesn't.) This is the problem. 

If she's out then obviously Wifi Calling won't work, but mobile signal is probably good so a call works.

I suppose she could turn mobile off when in the house, and then turn it on when she goes out. When I suggested this I was greeted with incredulity that she would remember to do it every time.

My pal with EMUI 12 doesn't have the problem when he comes to our house. It could be a difference in the phones, or a difference in the EMUIs. As I said, he has more possible settings in the "Wi-Fi+" area.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@bobdanbh 

Ah I see, lets call it 6 of one and half a dozen of the other on the description/understanding stakes.

As I said earlier, I downloaded the Google Phone dialler and made it the default for that very reason, i.e. more options including Wi-Fi+.

Give it a go, no files /data/contacts etc will be lost and you can always revert if she doesn't like it

0 Ratings