cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Transfer BT mobile number to new BT plan

Hello

I'm just about to order Family SIMs for a new SIM Only plan. These will be on my BT Mobile account.

Please could someone explain how to transfer my current BT mobile number (on a SIM Only, long out-of-contract plan) to the new SIM?

The only Help info I can find on how to keep an existing number is about moving from another provider or for when a faulty/wrong size etc SIM has had to be replaced.

TIA

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Transfer BT mobile number to new BT plan

I seem to recall that you could change your SIM plan through the My Products area of MyBT. So change your plan to a Family plan & then add more SIMS.

This stuck with me because when I last looked to change, Family plans were all I was offered. Can't check as I no longer have a BT SIM.

Message 3 of 11

You’ll need to make sure you upgrade your existing plan/numbers to the family plan. If you order it as a new plan, you’ll receive new numbers, and a PAC can’t be used unless you’re leaving BT (unless you wanted to go through the effort of porting out and back in to BT).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I've checked what is available in My Products and there's no option to move to a Family plan -- just a set of unattractive and expensive alternative plans. my current plan must be too old!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Just to add to my previous reply:
My idea of taking out the new plan was to get the juicy 8GB data for two SIMs at £14 per month that I see elsewhere on the website, which we should be able to get with our household BTbroadband and Halo (OH is account holder for these).

In fact, only my own mobile number is BT, the other one is currently on another network so would be more straightforward to transfer. OK, it would be a bit of a faff to port out and then back into BT but perhaps that's the only way -- assuming that it's allowed.

Not too keen on the idea but I might have to speak to the BT mobile team.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Just give them a call, I'm sure they'll be able to sort it for you there & then

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

If you call the sales team they should be able to move you into a new family plan and order an additional sim so you can transfer the 2nd number in from the other provider.
Just sounds like a limitation of MyBT is stopping you at the mo.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I did exactly that about 3 or 4 years ago, there was a very slight hitch but otherwise it couldn't have been simpler.

I just rang 0800 800 150 and they handled the whole thing for me and there was no need for new numbers. The hitch I referred to was that I ended up with an additional Data Only Sim which I didn't request but that was easily dealt with.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Hello again

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

After a mammoth phone session with sales we are nearly, but not quite, sorted out. We've now got the Family plan, I've kept my number and an extra SIM is on the way.

Unfortunately, when the 'paperwork' email came through, I see that the monthly cost hasn't included the broadband discount so will have to query that. Not entirely sure that they've given us the Halo double data boost either-- perhaps that has to be done through via the broadband account.

Quite enough for one day!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

It sounds like your advisor has stuffed up, both the data boost and broadband discount should be automatic.

0 Ratings