cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Unexplained data usage

I have turned off roaming data and hotspot/tethering on my mobile and am only connected to wi fi when at home.  However, over the past 2 or 3 weeks my phone is apparently using data and I don't understand how or why so any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unexplained data usage

You need to turn off "mobile data" if you don't want to use up data when out and about.  Roaming data is data you use when abroad not within the UK!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 3 of 8

thank-you - will try that but I still don't understand why it's only been a problem over the last few weeks ...
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @TitaSue and welcome.

Thanks for postoing about the mobile usage. Pleas let us know if @Crimliar advice sorts this for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@TitaSuewrote:
thank-you - will try that but I still don't understand why it's only been a problem over the last few weeks ...

Apps will use data when you're out and about, Google maps will use location data, you can also change some app settings to only update over wi-fi and not use 4G/5G data.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

It is possible to did into the settings ad see how much data each app is using, but the settings menu on different phones are not all the same (on Android at least).

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Check the setting that is ‘use mobile data’ if Wi-Fi is poor - this may explain your issue, set this off to stop this problem.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Has anyone had a satisfactory answer to this issue?

I received an e-mail last night at 8:54pm saying that I had used 802MB of my 1000MB allowance which was odd, as my usual data consumption is rarely over 400MB.

I turned off Mobile Data and planned to check it out the next day. Overnight I received three further e-mails stating that I had used all my mobile data allowance, then that I had racked up £80 excess charges and then I had reached my monthly overspend limit of £100 for using 1.2GB of data on the 1st of August and 200MB in the early hours of the 2nd August.

BT have stated blankly that I have used the Data and therefore the charges are valid. Apart from being hugely frustrating that I am being asked to pay £100 for something I have not used and derived no benefit from it seems very difficult for me to prove. My phone says I used 43MB Mobile Data between 1st and 2nd of August. My only recourse was to raise a complaint and will have to query my bill when it is issued later this month.

0 Ratings