cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Unfriendly Incoming Numbers

Can anyone tell me why my Nokia 301.1 gets "scrambled" when receiving calls from two particular mobile phones and one specific land-line?

To add greater confusion, when I transfer the BT-SIM card to an identical phone, the result is the same -- which suggests it is not the phone at fault.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unfriendly Incoming Numbers

It could be that the caller is withholding their phone number. Or if the calls are originating from a business, they're more than likely using a VOIP system and not broadcasting their originating CLI

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi NigelB72,

Neither of the callers is a business and their numbers are not withheld either.

Both callers are personal friends, with their numbers stored in Contacts, where they have been for a very long time.

I am able to call all three numbers without difficulty.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I've just done a quick Google search and it suggests that it might be an issue with the software on the phone. If you type caller id issues nokia 301.1 into Google (other search engines are available 😆) there's a possible fix. I don't want to post an external link in case it's a breach of Community rules. 👍

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

Just carried out a search, but found nothing relevant, or a fix.

These "unfriendly numbers" have operated fine for at least the past 2-3 years, so I can't understand why they should suddenly go peculiar.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Phone "Killed" by Incoming Calls

I have previously posted the following details, but didn't get any solution to the problem.

I have since purchased yet another (brand new) phone, but the problem continues.

Please can someone help?

I have three Nokia 301 phones - Each phone uses the BT Mobile Phone Plan, and each has developed the same fault during use. Two phones were brand new, with the other bought as refurbished.

When receiving a call, irrespective of whether from landline, mobile, National code or 0800, the phone starts to ring normally, changes to a scratchy squealing sound, the screen goes blank, and it is nearly always necessary to (a) switch the phone off completely, or (b) keep pressing the "End Call" and hope the caller will ring back.

Outgoing calls are no problem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Re: Phone "Killed" by Incoming Calls

this appears a know problem with your model phone as other similar posts if using google   Solution that some say worked was to change phone to GSM

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi imjolly,

Not sure about how one uses Google on a 301 as it is a "dumbphone" not a Smartphone, and if it had ever been offered as an option I should have tried to disable it as I have an absolute aversion to anything involving Google.

However, I set one of the phones to GSM, as you suggested, and have now rung it several times from the landline -- so far, no "killing" of the mobile.

As I understand things though, GSM is only for 2G. The Nokia 301 is supposed to be 3G so, with "Dual mode"., "3G mode" and "2G mode" available, why do the phones not operate in Dual & 3G?

I have been in touch with BT Support on this too. They think there is possibly a problem with the SIM, which is about 3-4 years old, so a replacement is on it's way for me to try.

Thanks for getting back to me on this problem - much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

As you are able to post on the forum you must have internet access so if you don't like Google then use edge or Firefox and search for problems with your phone and you will find others suffering with this Nokia phone. Not on BT mobile so problem not network specific

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I use Firefox and DuckDuckGo, and have spent hours searching and reading about phone problems. What I meant was - I do not use Google on my phone - nor Internet access or email.

Quite a number of problems seem related to the EE network, so perhaps the new BT SIM will help.

0 Ratings