cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Voicemail calling number

I have been left a 1571 voicemail by someone I met recently.  How do I find out the number they called me from?  I received a text alerting me to the voicemail but that text did not contain the caller's number.  I think it highly unlikely that the person withheld their number.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Voicemail calling number

Hi @johnericsutton 

With a bit of luck, it was the last number that called you.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/all-about-bt-1471

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Is 1471 relevant to the BT Mobile service?   I didn't realise it applied to the mobile voicemail as well as landline.  So I just tried it and got "I'm sorry the system is busy, please try again later".  Is that to be expected?

Bizarrely, the voicemail was left at 20:31 yesterday (the preamble asserts), but the text alerting me to its presence is dated today 18:52.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @johnericsutton   Sorry, I didn’t notice that it was Mobile. Why was the number not listed on your Recents list?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

If the call wasn't connected through to the mobile (because it was out of signal, hence it got passed to voicemail) then surely it wouldn't get registered in the Recents list on my phone, would it?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I just became aware that a friend with an iPhone (but using EE, not BT) has all his voicemails downloaded onto his phone.  In other words, when he selects the Voicemail tab in the Phone app, he sees a list of all voicemails received _including_ the metadata (so he can see the caller's number unless it was withheld) and he can listen to them without needing any network access because they are on the phone.  He says he did not do anything special to his phone to enable this automatic downloading of voicemails retrieved.  As a result he never has to _manually_ call the voicemail service to  retrieve his voicemails.  Perhaps this is what is known as a "push" service?

When I click on the Voicemail tab in the Phone app, all I see is a button which I can press to call the 1571 voicemail service.  I am running the latest version of iOS.

Why is my setup different?  Is it because BT do not provide this "push" service for voicemails?  Regardless, is there no way to find out the calling number of a voicemail by interrogating the 1571 service?  And if not, why not?

I tested things further and can confirm that the caller's number does _not_ get included in the text alert which is sent to notify you of the voicemail EVEN IF the caller has _not_ withheld their ID.  Neither does the call appear in the Recents list which is hardly surprising as the call never made it to the phone.

Hoping somebody out there has a clue...

0 Ratings