cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

BT Sport mobile app - how can I tell if I'm seeing BT Sport in HD?

BT Sport mobile app, iOS (tablet and phone).   Can someone please tell me how it is possible to know that one is receiving HD versions of the BT Sports channels?  I would expect to see BT Sport 1HD, BT Sport 2HD shown in the channel listings, or those channel names overlaid on the content on playback.  Personally, I'm not.

A screenshot from the app from another user, ideally on a tablet, showing the HD identifiers, would be perfect.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Sport mobile app - how can I tell if I'm seeing BT Sport in HD?

The apps ONLY have the HD channels, but the actual quality you see will depend on the speed of your connection.

Message 3 of 24

Thanks @DarrenDev    But how come the channel identifier doesn't say <BT Sport 1HD> etc?   To illustrate, here's an image from the AppStore, followed by a screenshot of what I actually see on my mobile app today.

From the App  Store - see HD names.From the App Store - see HD names.What I see (no HD identifiers)What I see (no HD identifiers)

I have a full fibre (900Mbps) connection, and the picture quality looks very ordinary, not HD at all.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

The on screen logos were changed last year to remove the HD suffix. The quality is still the same though.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

The HD suffix has been removed from the DOGs on the BT Sport channels on BTTV too. So if that’s where the app gets its feed from it would explain it. However, BTTV has both SD & HD channels, although the EPG does label them as SD & HD. There’s an additional charge for HD/UHD on BTTV and there’s usually a green button link to point you in the direction of a higher quality picture .The green button isn’t always there though and the link for UHD always takes you to Ch.433 rather than Ch. 465. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Thank you @Brucemeister5   My interest is purely in the app (on iPad and iPhone) and I confess I'm surprised if, as you suggest, there is no visual indicator at all to confirm to the user that they are viewing HD content. (And yes, I pay for BT Sport Ultimate with LRG screen).  PS what does the acronym DOG stand for?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

In the apps, the video is broadcast at 7 different quality levels. Every 6 seconds, the app decides which level to use based on the screen resolution, the speed of the broadband, and how fast the device is able to display the video. If there was an on screen HD indicator, it could potentially flash on and off every 6 seconds. That would be annoying.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

The HD/Resolution indicator could be added to the play-bar display where it could be checked on demand by the user.

And you could argue that a frequent ever-changing streaming rate could be indicative of a potential problem with the user's connection which they need to investigate - of course if out and about relying on mobile signal and / or wi-fi hotspots then it may be expected to happen.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

DOG stands for Digital Onscreen Graphics.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

@Doric  I was a BT Sport app only subscriber from the beginning in 2013 right up until April last year when I finally took the plunge and got BTTV. I was involved in the trial for BT Sport Ultimate on the Fire TV 4K stick and paid the extra to have it when it became available to all later that year.

I find that the timeline facility on the large screen app when you’re using BT Sport Ultimate to be very good for being able to watch particular incidents again. It’s something that’s not available when watching on the BTTV channel. 

0 Ratings