cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Phishing Email in BT inbox from bank I don't use

Today I received a phishing email from a bank I do not use.  I only use my BT email account for BT items such as my bill so how did this bank get my email name? Even my closest friends don't have that info.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phishing Email in BT inbox from bank I don't use

The bank does not have your email address nor did the bank send the email to your email account. The scammers did that.

They have computers that scan the Internet to "harvest" email addresses that are posted on web sites and the also generate hundreds of thousands of email address on a daily basis and send out the scam emails to them.

While many of these "email addresses" will not be correct or active many of them will be and the scammers email will land in genuine email accounts such as yours.

There is not a lot you can do about it because even if you block the email address, the email address purporting to be from the bank will not be the genuine email address that actually sent the email.

Message 3 of 5

Well yes I realize all that, the thing is I do not use that email account except to receive my BT bill and the occasional query to BT. So how did they get my BT email address?
Message 4 of 5

Did you read my post?

"They have computers that scan the Internet to "harvest" email addresses that are posted on web sites and the also generate hundreds of thousands of email address on a daily basis and send out the scam emails to them".

Their computers got lucky and generated your email address.

Message 5 of 5

Read your post. There are other ways as well but thank you for your interest.