cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Upselling on calls

I called BT customer services last week regarding a billing issue that is being rectified. 

At the end of the call I was then offered a new router to replace my existing BT router. I accepted as it was pitched as just sending a new router out for the latest and greatest,  then naively I later find the ‘guide’ has entered me into a brand new 24 month contract. 

Perhaps it was buried in the contract spiel delivered, but I certainly didn’t hear it. Having telephoned again tonight I now have to wait until the order completes and then ring back to cancel. 

Has anyone else fallen victim to these shady practices? 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Upselling on calls

I'm afraid BT's phone agents are all incentivised by commission and some of them apparently will say anything to get customers to accept "upgrade" deals and get their commission payments.
When offered what seems to be a bit of a freebie (like your new router) it's necessary to closely cross-question the agent offering it to establish what you are also accepting as part of the deal.
Message 3 of 3

Re: Upselling on calls

Thanks for your reply Chris. 

Yes I foolishly accepted, but will be on alert if there is a next time. 

Just a shame that this goes on and some will be trapped once the cooling off period is done. 

cheers