cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Will I be charged for phone line cut by tree surgeon?

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this situation as I called BT and they were next to useless. 

A few days ago our internet cut out as our next door neighbour had his tree cut down and in the process our overhead phone line was cut. The tree surgeon didn’t seem too worried as apparently this happens all the time and BT always come out and repair it for free. 

Am I going to face charges for this? I can’t seem to find any answers online and BT can’t seem to give me an answer either. It seems unfair this is something I would have to pay for. Especially as it’s something I can fix myself really easily (I’m a fully qualified electrician). 

I would like to know how likely it is if I am charged for this as if so I will just repair the line myself 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Will I be charged for phone line cut by tree surgeon?

It would be Openreach who repair it not BT.

If anybody has to pay it would be the tree surgeon that cut it not you.

Do NOT try and repair it your self. You will then become liable if your "repair" causes any issues.

Message 3 of 5

Yes I have made an appointment with Openreach on Monday

I’m just worried I’ll still have to pay for the repair and would be expected to foot the bill onto the tree surgeon myself which is going to be a complete headache for me and could involve going to court if he doesn’t agree to pay 

Message 4 of 5

I’d like to say no you won’t. When I was a CST if the damage had been caused outside of the boundary of your property by a third party then you weren’t liable.

That was then though, things may have since changed. 

Message 5 of 5

As the damage was not caused by you and is not on your property there is no way that you would/could be charged.

All you need to do is report the fault, ie your Internet is not working and the rest is up to BT to get Openreach to repair the fault, in this case a snapped cable.