cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

20230405-Mis_sold_full_fibre

Has anyone else been lied to by a EE/BT store and been mis-sold full fibre broadband that never works? They take the money but that's it. I call it theft. I assume it is store policy at the EE/BT shop in Central Leeds ? Lied to at point of sale. Mis-sold BT Full Fibre. Make sure you get everything in writing if you are spending any money in this store. This relates to a move from BT Copper DSL to Full Fibre sold by this EE store bundled in with existing mobile agreements. We were told at point of sale that the Openreach installer would check connectivity of all devices before leaving site, this was a lie. When we called BT a call centre in Ireland told us that it could take up to 4 hours for a connection, another lie. When called again BT told us that it would activate overnight at around midnight, another lie. If you move to BT Full Fibre you will be without Broadband for a few days, or longer is you do it close to the Easter Bank Holidays.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: 20230405-Mis_sold_full_fibre

What light have you got on your smart hub?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Our home hub draws current and provides a light orange glow in the corner of the room, nothing else. It has done since an Openreach installer ripped out my perfectly good copper and threw some fibre at my house. He was working in a hotel up until last week and it shows. Tried power off/on and Pin reset it just goes from green back to Orange. The distant end has not been set up. Does anyone know any legal firms who could me prosecute BT for mis-selling and get my money back? Ofcom told me to register with the Ombudsman, which I know have, but with them I have to wait until eight weeks after my initial complaint. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@Stevet59 

What lights are showing on the Openreach Optical Modem (ONT), and are any of them flashing?

What date have BT given for your service to be activated, assuming its BT Retail and not EE that are providing your service?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

3 green, 2 solid one flashing. Orange Hub. Distant end requires activation. I did RTFM and put my cable tester on the copper to the ONT, all good. 

I work with BT in my day job I know they cannot provide reliable and effective communication. My issue is being lied to at point of sale and being mis-sold. I think I need some legal help.  The conversation should have gone:

BT: "If we install this you will be without Broadband for a few days/weeks"

0A: "Ok I will leave it then"

What actually happened:

BT: "Pay now and the service will be working and physically checked by the Openreach installer before they leave site"

0A: "Ok I will pay"

Install day,

0A: "The Openreach installer has left and the Broadband doesn't work"

BT: " You have to wait 4 hours for it to activate"

0A: " I have waited 4 hours and still no connection"

BT: "You have to wait until after midnight for it to activate"

Install day +1

0A: "I waited until after midnight and still no connection"

BT: "You have to wait until after midnight tonight for it to activate"

etc etc etc.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

I'm sorry but get off the high horse, it's NOT a mis-sell, it's obviously a fault which needs fixed

Message 7 of 10

We were told immediate connection. "The Openreach installer will not leave site until it is all tested". The truth is the BT comment about waiting until after midnight. That's a lie a point of sale. That's mis-selling. If it were true we would have an Openreach installer camped on the drive for a week. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Mis-selling would be selling you the FTTP when it's not available, it not being connected immediately (FWIW I believe it should be) is a fault

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

have you tried phoning the FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and see if it just your connection needs activated.  have ONT serial number handy

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Obviously if the Openreach tech ( or contractor working on their behalf ) encounter a problem they cannot resolve themselves, they pass the issue to whatever ‘back office’ department that does have the necessary systems access/knowledge/ etc. to resolve.

If the PON light is flashing on the ONT the optical path to the headend is established, but the ONT has not been authenticated (or cannot be authenticated) the installers job is completed, they can personally do no more with this situation, apart from advising the appropriate department.

The ISP statement that the installer won’t leave until all is tested is clearly subject to circumstances and predicated on a successful installation, if there is a problem like this , what possible benefit is derived by the installer staying put ?, whatever the issue is , it doesn’t need the installer to be at your property to resolve it.

You have simply been unfortunate that your installation failed , something that once your service is up and running you will be compensated for , if your previous copper pair based broadband has been ceased , as a consequence of combining the dates of the install date of the new service with the date of the cessation of the old service, that is also unfortunate but if avoiding even the possibility of having no service at all , (and of no use to you now , ) you may have been better advised to maintain the copper service until the FTTP was confirmed as working , and only then  contacting your old provider to cease their copper based service, but presumably you wouldn’t have been happy about paying for 2 services but using only 1.

It’s a tiny percentage of installations ‘fail’ , it’s obviously of no comfort to you that yours was one of them , but to claim ‘mis- selling’ and threaten ‘legal action’ is somewhat hysterical , given its a domestic broadband service the installation of which may be delayed for a while , it no doubt sucks , but have a little sense of perspective