cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Absurdly Long Service Start Dates?

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I recently signed up for a new BT internet broadband package, and I wanted to share my experience and concerns here in the hopes that a BT moderator or someone from the community might be able to assist me.

I placed my order for a BT broadband kit just yesterday, and I was eagerly anticipating a swift delivery and a smooth start to my new BT service. However, today I received an email notification that left me quite frustrated and disappointed. According to the email, my broadband kit won’t be delivered for over four weeks, and my service won’t commence until then!

This unexpected delay is really bothering me, especially when there’s no need for engineer installation at my location and I do not have any broadband. I simply can’t understand why it should take such a long time to dispatch a broadband kit, especially when I was initially given the impression that the process would be relatively quick.

Is this kind of delay typical for new BT customers, or is there a specific reason behind this extended waiting period? To be honest, this situation is quite unacceptable and leaves me contemplating whether I should contact BT to cancel my order altogether.

I’m hoping that someone here can shed some light on this issue or possibly offer some guidance on how to expedite the process. Any assistance or insights would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to have a better understanding of what’s going on and hopefully find a solution that doesn’t involve canceling my order.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

Best regards,
Mr Holland

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Absurdly Long Service Start Dates?

Go to solution

@Dutch26 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

What broadband package have you ordered, as there may be a problem with the availability of spare connections?

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Dear @Keith_Beddoe 

Thank you for your quick response. Please find the output below.

Many thanks,

Mr Holland

IMG_3181.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, but you have missed off most of the detail from that page.

The FTTP information does not say whether its FTTP On demand, or residential FTTP. It also mentions about VDSL being available, but that info is missing.

Is it a new build property that you are living in? If so, what provision has the developer made for broadband connections to the property, in conjunction with Openreach?

New build are now installed with direct Optical Fibre connections, with an Optical modem inside.

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Dear @Keith_Beddoe,

My apologies for my ineptitude! The FTTP network service information for my property is “Multi Dwelling Unit Residential”.

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. Network is at capacity so a new ONT cannot be ordered.

I have moved into a new build, but I am renting my property so I’m not aware of any arrangements. The homeowner did leave an Openreach EchoLife terminal behind which looks useful!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Dutch26 

That would be the issue, there is no spare capacity on the Openreach network.

The Openreach EchoLife is a copper modem which is used where copper FTTC is delivered, but no use in your case as your property is fibre only.

This is what a fibre modem looks like Capture.JPG

As Openreach are providing the network, all providers that use the Openreach network, will have the same lead times.

As I can see, there is no alternative but to wait until Openreach increase network capacity. Do you have a good 4G mobile signal, as BT can normally loan you a 4G mini hub to give you service until an FTTP connection is available?

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Dear @Keith_Beddoe,

I am really grateful for your support today, you have been nothing less than brilliant.

Thank you ever so much for helping me understand my situation.

We have full 5G signal here, so the mini hub loan option is one I will explore!

Thank you again, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Many thanks,

Mr Holland.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Dutch26 

I have edited my post to show what a fibre modem looks like, so I assume you have nothing like that fitted, as it would be connected to an optical fibre cable?

Its odd that it says "ONT exists with active service", are you sure that an ONT has not already been fitted?

It would be powered up, and have lights on it?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

If there is an ONT fitted , what lights are lit , assuming it’s powered , if it isn’t , switch it on ….if the PON light is lit and steady , then the optical path is present ( it’s receiving light from the OLT ) and it’s authenticated ( effectively ready to use ) that ought to mean that assuming the correct serial number of the ONT is recorded enabling service should be easy , if the PON light is lit but flashing or the LOS ( loss of signal ) is lit , then there are issues that could require an engineer visit ( LOS will need a visit ) 

If the ONT PON light is  steady , call the BT FTTP team ( number by searching this forum ) with the ONT serial number to hand .

A delaying factor could  be the records held for your installation.

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. Network is at capacity so a new ONT cannot be ordered.

This means that as far as ‘wholesale’ are concerned the ONT is active ( unsurprisingly given that note  )

If the previous occupant hasn’t advised whoever they used for service that they have left the property, then  the working line takeover process is needed , which can take a while ( around 10-14 days ) because the previous user needs to be asked,  is it  OK that someone else will be providing service , ( it’s primarily a slamming safeguard ) , a letter in the post or email is sent to the previous user by their ISP , asking ‘is this takeover a mistake , call us if it is ’  and asks for a response within 10 days , no response is fine , your order can proceed, and if it’s a letter sent to your address  (you may even get that letter through your letter box , so know which ISP sent it although it’s addressed to the previous occupant )  that letter will obviously go unanswered, so 10 days later , your order can proceed , even if BT were the previous occupants ISP , this is the process.

You  know your order is legitimate but there are ISP that will slam customers onto their company’s without the tacit agreement of the user , and people can select the wrong address when ordering ( pretty common with flats and apartments ) so although in your case it may be adding unnecessary delay , overall it is necessary.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Sounds about right for BT.  I was an existing customer, and following receiving an email from them inviting me to apply for FTTP, they cancelled four appointments over four consecutive months and then emailed me to say that if I wanted my connection to go ahead, I would need to pay in excess of £5,500 excess connection charges.  Needless to say, I told them where to go, ordered 1 GB FTTP with Vodafone and was up and running with them within a few weeks with no connection Charges.

0 Ratings