cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Agreed to TV package add on to social tariff but given wrong terms and conditions over the phone

I registered as a new customer to get the social tariff broadband in a new flat -( that can be cancelled at any time) . I'm only in the new flat for 9 months and am disabled so this all seemed to work well. The guy who set it up said would I like a TV package as it was quite a good deal about £23 a month I said ok as long as it can be cancelled along with the social tariff and he said it could - now I'm going through all the emails in advance of activation this week, and it looks like I'm tied in to the TV for 24 months. He definitely insisted that the TV was a rolling contract, cancel any time.

I know I can cancel the TV part of this package within 14 days of it being set up etc but seems really bad practice. The social tariff is meant to be for people who might be vulnerable for a number of reasons, I'm disabled but I can usually sort things out with some help, but some people might have no help and not understand what they were getting in to.  Thinking is there any other TV option, other than a 24 month contract?  Or is it Freeview all the way now?!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Agreed to TV package add on to social tariff but given wrong terms and conditions over the phone

I know when I added my TV it was a 2 year contract - cant see anything on BT's website about Social Tarrifs for TV so I would think it would be the same across the board.

If you have a smart TV there are plenty of subscriptions services which do not have long contracts or contracts full stop for the most part

Message 3 of 5

Re: Agreed to TV package add on to social tariff but given wrong terms and conditions over the phone

@Mrsnonsmoker 

Make an official complaint and it could get resolved as it's likely the call was recorded.

Message 4 of 5

BT’s social tariff isn’t ’meant to be for people who might be vulnerable’ , it’s for those on certain qualifying benefits, most of which are not aimed at ‘vulnerable’  people but those with financial pressures, benefits like Pension Credit , Jobseeker’s Allowance, Universal Credit , Income Support are not specifically for ‘vulnerable’ persons, in fact I would think most who can claim these benefits are no more or less vulnerable than anyone else , and would not appreciate being labelled as such simply because of their financial situation.

Message 5 of 5

@TimCurtis 

it is against the forum rules to post that email address so needs deleted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings