cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Anyone else think that BT should not to raise prices by the full CPI + next year?

BT says it will rise prices  by CPI + 3.9% however that was set before the massive increase in energy prices which have caused a large rise in CPI.  While BT will have incurred some increase in its energy costs is it really responsible to increase its charges to the maximum allowed when many customers will be finding it hard this year to cover all of their bills? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Anyone else think that BT should not to raise prices by the full CPI + next year?

To answer your question, I agree with you 100% but I think you'll find that it takes a lot more than a little dissent on a forum to influence BT policy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Re: Anyone else think that BT should not to raise prices by the full CPI + next year?

@Caz9797 

how many other companies have you written to who also have the set annual increase in their T&C?  how many have replied

any postponement of the annual price rise will need to be done by many many companies and then BT may be one of them.  I wouldn't hold my breath though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Keep in mind BT is not a public owned company or a charity.

The BT CEO has already stated the price rise will go ahead.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/07/28/bt-plans-another-inflation-busting-price-rise-despit...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Correct which means there are a number of individuals and pension fund managers who can encourage a rethink. What this forum can do is help them decide to act.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Speaking for myself, that prompts a couple of questions.

1. Can I leave within the contract period without penalty rather than pay the extra (I believe the answer is yes, I'm just looking for confirmation)

And

2. How do I go about changing ISP's when I'm on FTTP, can I just migrate in the good old fashioned way or do I have to cancel and start again from scratch with an alternative supplier ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

@Les-Gibson 

You need to check your T&C but I expect that is part of your  conditions you agreed to the increase of CPI +3.9% so you cannot leave due to the annual increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 20

1. I don’t think you can as it is a pre-agreed price rise built into a contract you agreed to, unlike when companies increase your bills when they feel like it, usually annually accompanied with a message along the lines of “to keep investing in your services” and other such waffle.

2. I assume your FTTP is an Openreach product so you can swap to any other provider that also offers that type of product, just like you could with ADSL and FTTC.

Plenty of providers out there that use the same infrastructure as BT/EE and will offer you either a monthly contract or longer with no price rises, as a consumer you just need to put the effort in to move and even that isn’t difficult these days.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 9 of 20

Thanks for that @stereohaven 

I've had FTTP with BT for many years and at that time I was warned that I wouldn't be able to change ISP's as easily as with ADSL, hence the question.

Message 10 of 20

Just for info if anyone else wants to know if you can cancel your contract due the the annual price increase, the short answer is no, you can't

The information is there in the T&Cs' but as with everything BT it is a bit abstract as you have to read clauses 10 and 21 to work it out.
Why they can't make it more readable by putting all the necessary information in one clause baffles me.

0 Ratings