cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Account mystery

I am new to BT broadband(just signed up and went on line on 13/06/2022). While the sign-up and going live has been pretty much smooth with decent reliable broadband connection there's however some strange things happening. Firs,t was asked by email to "activate BT ID" which was simply my email address. I duly did that and it took me to My BT home page where I can see my details. But then it says there is no account linked to my BT ID (so that there is no billing,usage etc info to be seen). It did invite me to add an account but that required an account number, which it suggests could be found on any bills.

Problem is there is no bill ever sent to me albeit I have been debited the first month payment from my bank account (a violation of the Ts&Cs of Direct Debit). OK, the bill could be online in my account but without the account number I cannot link my account to my BT ID which means I cannot see my bills. A catch 22. 

Luckily it says I can request my account number through the post, which I did and and received it today.  I promptly jumped into action, logged in to my BT, added the newly received account number and got an message on page advising me it could take up to 5 minutes to update (my account). Trouble is, now hours later it still invites me to add an account! (I did in fact try twice with a one hour gap but to no avail).

Is BT on strike or BT is hiring some dodgy developers to save money?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Account mystery

if your account went active on 13/6 and you had broadband access then your payment would be taken by DD based on bank account information you provided at sign up.  payments are in advance not arrears

if still having account problems then phone CS 150 or 0800800150 from mobile and they should be able to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@kenRT  Did you not get a welcome letter to THANK YOU for joining BT? It's been many years, but I seem to remember the account number to use was mentioned in that letter.
Perhaps the welcome letter has been ditched these days.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

The DD was taken 10 days after its gone live. Its not exactly in advance nor arrears. Whilst I have no problem whether its in advance or arrears, the DD Regulations do require a bill or a notice be sent to the customer in advance advising the date of the DD being taken. 

As I said a bill could well be generated in time on my account. The problem is I can't see it because "There is no account linked to the BT ID". So why, as a customer who just want a simple solution for a broadband connection, I need a BT ID and an account number and the two can't link automatically, or worse, when trying to link the two manually as instructed, nothing happens.

I myself used to be a website developer from over 20 years ago. To be honest, I could not see the bizarre logic behind all these. BT should and could make things much easier and simpler (or at least error free) for its customers.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Carlusha @imjolly No There was no Welcome pack in the post. Anyway it's now not the missing of account number as BT has sent it to me by post it's rather that BT's website (my BT ID page) doesn't work when trying to "associated" the account number with my BT ID. It said It'd take up to 5 minutes to update but my judgement is that, given that the "You don't have any accounts you can manage" yellow box still appeared below the "5 minutes" message, it'd take not 5 minutes, or 5 days 5 months 5 years but forever to "update", because logically after you link the account number that yellow box should disappear waiting for the update operation to finish. See the screenshot below (just tried to "associate" the account number again this morning).

By the way the My BT app doesn't work either. As soon as my BT broadband went live I installed it but it never works. It asked me to login using my BT ID and password (same as those used to log into My BT website) but keep saying "Sorry something went wrong Please try again" and that repeats itself until I uninstalled this useless app from my phone.

Never come across such dodgy website function/app in my life.

Web capture_3-7-2022_9957_my.bt.com.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @kenRT,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry if you're having an issue with the My BT. If you send me your details, I'll be able to take a look at this for you.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I think BT use the ghost of Franz Kafka to devise their systems and website design.

To say it's a dog's breakfast is an understatement.