cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Fibre Compensation due or not?

We put an order in for BT Fibre in July 2023. However due to constant delays with Openreach who needed to install a cable etc it was finally installed in October 2023.

During several calls with BT, i was told without me asking that I was entitled to compensation for the delay and that it was automatic. After it was finally installed I phoned and was told it would happen 30 days later. 

Nothing happened so I called again on the 28th December and was told by the Guide it was some £500 due and that she would get her Manager to sign it off.  HOWEVER it turns out as BT had not actually committed to an installation date as all they kept doing was pushing it back, I am not entitled to anything!  Has anyone experienced this and surely whilst maybe not £500 something should be payable? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Fibre Compensation due or not?

@Lash123 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

See https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/automatic-compensation

"

• If we don’t activate landline or broadband on the day we promised(including when switching from another provider), you’ll receive £5.83 compensation automatically.

"

Were you actually given an actuation date? If not, then compensation would not be payable unless activation failed on that date.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

If there was never any installation date agreed then you do not qualify for automatic compensation. 

See link

Automatic Compensation | BT Help

You could try asking for some sort of compensation but do not be surprised if you don't get any.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Cheers, yes I have, but no joy. I really need to know if anyone has received any, given the delay is caused by Openreach, who are BTs contractors and one assumes must have SLAs in place with BT. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Your contract is with BT Retail, not Openreach. Openreach can never guarantee a connection date, as there are too many variables, many are out of their control, like traffic management.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Your contract is with BT not Openreach so it does not matter whether or not Openreach have or have not an SLA with BT. 

Your compensation if you were getting any would come from BT and as per the link posted and what the Customer Service have told you, you are not entitled to any automatic compensation because you did not have a confirmed date which only leaves you to try and seek compensation by complaining to BT about the time it has taken to get you connected.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Ah ok, that is very useful advice, thank you.

Is there a particular way to complain, given I have spoken to them on several occasions and have now been told I am not entitled at least three times..

Feeling like this is not going to go anywhere sadly

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

See link

Complaints | BT Help

As I said, don't be surprised if you don't get any but please keep us updated with how you get on. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Were you provided with anything while waiting like a 4G Mifi type device, even if it wasn’t much use ?

Was this a FTTP ( full fibre ) provide , if it was what was the nature of the delay and was your installation a single stage or two stage , with two stage the first visit isn't contractual as possible complications were spotted at the network survey stage , and depending on what the reason for the two stage approach was for , it would be crazy to give an appointment without first establishing if the ‘obstacle’ could be overcome, for example if overhead service existed ( so from a pole ) and the service was via another property , so wire to a third party and then onto the required address  ( if Fttp were to copy the existing copper dropwire ) if the third party property owner refused to let a new wire optical cable replace the existing copper wire , then that’s going to introduce a delay that isnt Openreach or BT fault , if it’s a 2 stage , OR can stop the clock until a solution is found 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

You say you applied for it in July. The pertinent question is were you given an installation date? If yes you must have the email proving it. If not, you have no claim.