cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT advising Openreach visit required for FTTC renewal deal

Hello,

I've contacted the Customer Options Team on Live Chat to organise a new deal for my grandmother's Broadband and Landline as her current deal is coming to an end (I am a contact on her account with authorisation).

She is currently on FTTC Fibre 1. The lady on Live Chat was quite pushy in trying to get me to agree to take a Full Fibre package. If it were me, obviously I would take the Full Fibre, however my Nan is 87 and the installation would cause her quite a lot of stress, even if I was there with her on the day. Especially as her line is Overhead and not via an underground duct.

For this reason, I'm keen to keep her on FTTC at the moment, however the advisor said that even if I just get a new deal keeping her on FTTC Fibre 1, she would still need an Openreach engineer round. Surely that is incorrect?

I feel BT will also try to move her over to Digital Voice as part of the regrade. Are the backup battery units still offered for free for elderly/vulnerable customers?

Thanks for your help.

David

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT advising Openreach visit required for FTTC renewal deal

Strictly speaking the guaranteed way to stay on whatever your grandmother is on , is to continue the existing arrangement on an out of contract basis , so potentially paying more than necessary, as any change ( and re contracting is a change ) should be to FTTP , if FTTP is available.

All ISP’s using Openreach are supposed to use FTTP for new or re contracting customers, if it available as eventually FTTP will be the default method of provision.

The migration to DV is separate, and may happen irrespective of re contracting , and almost certain if converting to FTTP , but people over 70 apparently can ask for this to be delayed , but December 2025 is the absolute latest date .

Message 3 of 4

Overhead FTTP installations are quicker and more straightforward than underground ones usually.

I don't understand the bit about needing an Openreach engineer round if recontracting Fibre 1 - if it was permitted there would be nothing to physically change.

Digital Voice switchover may or may not happen with a move to FTTP. In some areas DV is not available yet so the old phone line needs to be retained for voice calls. But it is a strong possibility that it could happen at the same time.

I believe that BT are being asked by the government to offer battery backup solutions for vulnerable people - not sure of the details. Another thing to consider is if she has an old medical alert system that only works over a PSTN line.

Message 4 of 4

Thanks for your replies and the info.

I luckily got through to another advisor on Live Chat that was really understanding. He said the same as the above, e.g. that if FTTP is available then that is really what they are being asked to push for. But he understood my concerns and agreed to keep my grandmother on FTTC Fibre 1 for the time being.

He actually gave me the option of switching her to Digital Voice, or remain as it is for the moment, which I was surprised about. I think it may have been because I mentioned she was 87 and, as you say above, as she is over 70 it can be delayed if necessary (though I understand the switchover would need to be done by the end of next year at the latest).

I think I'm going to handle it in a couple of stages, will probably try and recontract again onto Digital Voice in a few months, once I've explained it all to her and made sure she is comfortable. Another benefit is that 1571 is free over DV.

Then I'll look at moving her to FTTP probably when her new contract comes to an end. I guess the risk is that when I recontract her to DV, they will probably try and move her to FTTP again at that point. Will see how it goes. Ideally I'd like to do it in 2 stages so as not to overwhelm her, but if it all needs to be done at the same time we'll have to do it like that.

It wouldn't matter if she was around the corner, but I live in Dorset and she's in London, so I'll need to plan being there when Openreach come (for FTTP). I just had to try and avoid any upheaval this time round, as it's the anniversary of my Grandad's passing, so it's a bit of a delicate time for her.

Thanks for the info about the Overhead install usually being quicker, I didn't realise that. Luckily she doesn't have any medical care alarms or house alarms connected to the phone line, so won't have to worry about that.

Will look into the Battery Backup Unit for her too when the time comes. Hopefully, BT will provide one for free, if not I'll look at purchasing one for peace of mind.

0 Ratings