cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT has cancelled my cancellation order? They dont know why this was done?

Long story short, i have placed a cancellation order within my cooling of period.

Then when a notification for my bill come i logged in to check it, and i am charged as usual, meaning for my services.

I was expecting to see a cancellation fee on my BT TV and that final date i am charged for internet would be the 12th of July.

I called them up and an advisor said it was cancelled for some unknown reason and that they have to investigate why this happened, and then they will put a new order for cancellation with the note that it was on my cooling period, but i have to wait 1 week for someone to call me back.

I dont like that situation, its extremely stressful and i am not sure what the outcome would be BT being BT effectively, i am afraid they will say something like, we can do nothing about it, and now you have to pay on the top of the cancellation fees of the BT TV the cancellation of the BT broadband as well. 

What am i to do? Any admin that can actually advise? or anyone with the same experience? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT has cancelled my cancellation order? They dont know why this was done?

Its not clear to me what you are cancelling, BTTV , or both BTTV and BT Broadband , cancelling BT broadband would likely also cancel BTTV if it were to be delivered by a set top box,  automatically, as you need one for the other , cancelling BTTV as a standalone item within the cooling off period shouldn’t cease an established BT Broadband service.

If you want to cancel a recent order for BTTV , within the cooling off period, and also separately cancel BT broadband , unless you are moving to a non Openreach provider like VM  or not having ‘landline’ type broadband at all , you should leave cancelling BT Broadband to whatever ISP you are joining,  instead doing it yourself.

If you do want to cancel both , you  may have to let the cancel of the BTTV order complete before cancelling BT broadband yourself  or delay signing up with a new ISP on Openreach network, until after the cancellation of the BTTV order is complete 

Obviously I don’t know what exactly you are trying to do, but someone signing up to BTTV , then cancelling it within the cooling off period , and deciding simultaneously that you also don’t want to use BT for broadband either  is likely going to cause issues, but that may not be the case here.

Message 3 of 8

Hi iniltous, thank you for replying to this. I am cancelling both. So i called to cancel the broadband and BT TV. As you mentioned you cant have tv without broadband, but somehow i can have the mobile number. (I have 3 products, broadband, tv and mobile). So basically the only service i left with BT was the mobile because contract expires in November anyways.

I did that because i am moving out of the UK.

Now what i did is called them and cancelled the 2 (broadband and tv). Now the broadband was on a cooling of period as i just moved in the house, but the BT TV was carried forward from my previous contract. Dont ask me why they do it like this. So by cancelling them, only the TV attracted cancellation fees, but the broadband is free of cancellation fees. I even got a confirmation email from them that the cancelling fees would be only on the BT TV. So far so good!

Then what happened yesterday is that the new bill was issued, and i was charged for a full period and not until 12th of July which should have been last day with BT, like there was never a cancellation. I went to the "track order" (cancellation counts as an order as well) and i seen it was having an alert: "some of the order was cancelled, we will be in touch soon with you to discuss", i called them to see what happened and why my cancellation order was cancelled, and now they have to investigate, as they had no clue what was happened and raised a complain on my behalf. The agent said no to worry and that he will raise again the cancellation order, without ant broadband fees, but for some reason, i dont really trust them to keep their word.

Just wanted to know if anyone had the same experience, as i am not willing to pay cancellation fees on broadband that i cancelled on it's cooling off period.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I am confused by your reply.  If you can't have BTTV without broadband and you are carrying forward BTTV from before then you must have had broadband in previous home before moving to new house so why was it not also carried forward on move? 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

Yes i understand the confusion. In London, the max mbps i could have was 72. In the new home it was fullt FTTP so i could have the 900mbps, so i went for that. So when you do that, the old contract is replaced with a new one (just the broadband, not the tv or the mobile), which again has 14 days cooling off period.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

You are also aware that cancelling the new bb contract within 14 days means you go back to the old one right? That may be whats causing the issue here too you can't sign up to a new bb contract then cancel within 14 days to avoid termination fees on an old bb contract

It could also be the change to FTTP causing the issue but BT would be best placed to advise here

Message 7 of 8

hmm, no, no one mentioned that and i spoke with 3 individual advisors from BT. I would not be so sure about that though, as when you get in a new contract, the old one is cancelled. More specifically, when i was talking with one of the advisors, she asked if i actually wanted to get back to my old contract. So, i am not so sure what you say is the case, but i will keep that in mind. thank you for mentioning this.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I doubt it is so easy to avoid early termination charges , simply by renewing a contract that you don’t want , supposedly ending the original contract without penalty and then  starting a new contact ( that the customer has no intention of actually fulfilling ) cancelling this new contract within the cooling off period , to be ‘free’ of any obligation on both the old and new contact , this  seems to be something that would be countered in the T&C’s of the renewal offer…cancel the new ‘deal’  puts you back in the original position you were in, with the original contract terms , and ETC if you end it early