cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT have cancelled my landline without my request

Hello

I'm hoping someone here can be more helpful than the BT help chat agent.

Late last night (Saturday, 10:15pm) I received an email saying ...

We're stopping some services linked to the address shown below.

Address here

We're sorry you want to stop your services with us. Here are some things you need to know.

What's happening
Here are the services that will stop:
Call Protect
Privacy at Home
Privacy Caller Display

I thought this was odd as I had not requested this, but as it only mentioned things like Call Protect and did not mention anything about the landline, I thought I would investigate it on Monday and didn't think any more about it.

This afternoon a neighbour called round to say that a friend had called them as the friend had been trying to call us and could not get through, the neighbour had also tried to call us and had not been able, so they came round.

I tried to call out and every number I tried it said 'This number is not recognised' even before I had finished dialling the number.  We live in a rural area and do not have mobile signal at home, so I was really concerned that we had a fault, but we still had internet connection, even more odd.

I went to the BT website and eventually got an agent on the help chat, they told me that we had requested that the landline service be stopped.  I told them that we did not request this, and kept getting told that it could only happen with account holders consent. 

They told me that I have to contact the Values department, whatever that is, to get reconnected, which is great as I don't have a landline or a mobile signal.

Eventually I was put through to a manager who told me that the landline was stopped because of a 'Number export request placed under the name of 'my name' with the service provider named EYQ.  I told them that I had never heard of EYQ and still have no idea why the landline has been stopped.

They then told me ' I am not saying you contacted BT or Openreach, the request was placed a service provider name EYQ, which could have been done while doing things like checking that whether other providers have full fibre availability or even checking for number portability.'

'a transfer of number request can never be placed or agreed without the account holder and Openreach's records show that this request was placed by the main account holder.

The chat agent refused to accept that we had not made the request and ended the chat.

I've since googled EYQ and according to a company check website, this company was disolved in February 2018 and I can't find any other info about this company.

How can it be possible for a company to cancel someones landline while checking if they have full fibre?  How can it be possible when I've had no contact nor made any enquires at all with this company, I've never heard of them and they don't even seem to exist.

Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT have cancelled my landline without my request

Hi @lucytonkin and welcome back.

It's been a while but great to see you again. I'm really sorry your line has been switched off without your consent. I'll be happy to lend a hand and get you reconnected. If that suits please check your inbox for my message and drop me a reply with the details.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT have cancelled my landline without my request

Hi there, thanks for replying. I was in the process of replying to your private message when I managed to speak to someone on the phone.

The problem was due to us changing to fttp. I had requested that we retain our copper line alongside the fibre for as long as possible as we have no mobile signal here. When I placed the order for fibre I was told that this was ok, on the understanding that we knew that the copper would be switched off eventually.

We had the fibre installed on 2nd Dec and everything was fine. I expected that at some point, maybe 6 months we would be informed that the copper was being switched off and we would get Digital voice set up. Instead BT switched off the copper on the 10th Dec with no warning and left us without a land line.

No one can explain why we were told that we could retain the copper line, no one can explain why we were switched off without warning. We have been migrated to Digital voice on a different number and it will take up to 15 days to get our old number back and we are still waiting for the Digital Voice handsets as they were sent by Royal Mail just before the strike started.

I only stayed as a BT customer for fibre as Sky said straight away that we would not be able to keep the copper line, so we are paying more than we would have for another supplier and the customer service has been pretty appalling. Unfortunately we are locked into a 2 year contract now, but BT has lost any future business from me. 

0 Ratings