cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT still charged me even I do not use their broadband service

Go to solution

Due to financial reason, I decided to switch to another broadband provider after my contract with BT ends on 4-August-2024. At the same time, my wife needs a proof of address so I let her to deal with the new broadband provider. I understand that may be tricky so on 15-June-2024 I phoned BT to state clearly that I will no longer use their service after end of contract. I got an email from them saying their service will end on 5-August-2024.

Today the broadband service was switched successfully, but I just received an invoice from BT, saying I still need to pay for 42 pounds for the coming month. I called BT to ask for the reason, and they replied that as the new broadband provider did not inform them about the switch (probably because we are using different names), and the new broadband provider only switched the service in the morning of 5-August-2024, BT considered I have used the service on 5-August-2024 and thus need to charge me for a whole month! I asked if there is a chance to waive such cost or charge me on pro rata basis, the customer service refused both suggestion. Can anyone suggest what I can do now?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT still charged me even I do not use their broadband service

Go to solution

To add a remark. I already took the BT modem off on 4-August.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

So if your service cancelled today you'll get a final bill from BT in time with a pro rata refund for anything paid in advance. Why billing couldn't tell you that I don't know

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The billing period ( bill production run ) and your individual contractual dates are unlikely to align so receiving a bill for days after you stop being a customer is normal , and any paid for dates after the served notice period are refunded, but in your case this notice period is unclear,.

You haven’t used the normal migration process ( where you advise the new ISP and they serve notice on your behalf so you don’t speak to the old provider yourself ) the actual last paid for day of your BT service includes the notice period which is 30 days after you advise them of your intention to leave yourself , but that would mean the new ISP would have to wait until your  cease order is completed before they can takeover ( not migrate ) the ‘line’ , stoat means  a break in service between the old and new service  but that doesn’t seem to have happened, so it’s  if any notice served by you has been acknowledged, I suspect your new ISP even though it’s not in your name has controlled this , so you were not ceased and re provided but migrated.

You disconnecting the equipment has no bearing on your contractual obligations, you pay for days of the notice period ( 30 days if your call was the notice to quit  , or 10-14 if your Mrs migration order was used  ) , what you don’t know is when this period started and ended , but it’s too early to be concerned as you may well get a refund of the majority of your last payment anyway .

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
I don't know neither. Fortunately I talked to another customer service today and he told me I was only charged for 1 day of service. This is more reasonable.
Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately I talked to another customer service today and he told me that I only need to pay 1 day of service instead of 1 month. Finally I paid the final bill and the things are settled.

0 Ratings