cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Billing

I have paid line rental saver and am unhappy that BT want to apply the new price increase to the service I have already paid for.  I have spoken to BT and had to open a complaint. Information on BT Community would appear to infer that the ombudsman has ruled that this charge is unfair as BT information is misleading so why are BT  not being open and letting people know?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Billing

Either before or after you paid your line rental did the emails which you received from BT say something like

"Your Line Rental Saver discount is about to end. So to keep saving for another 12 months, you need to renew it.

It costs £219.84 for 12 months, which gives you a credit of £19.99 each month. "

and

"Thanks for choosing Line Rental Saver

As you've paid for your line in advance, that means you're saving money now and you won't need to pay it again for 12 months.

Here are some things you should know:

We'll give you a credit of £19.99 a month every month you've got Line Rental Saver."

The wording of the emails from BT does not say they cannot increase your line rental, it merely says you will get £19.99 credit off your bill each month.

Also check out page 21 of the BT Consumer Price Guide at: https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

I doubt very much the ombudsman rulung referred to this exact situation ot whether your offical complaint will succeed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for your information.   I am sure  BT  are covered  with something in the  small print but  I did not study this at the time and having paid line rental in advance I assumed that I would not be surcharged at a future date.  BT say they are not applying the price rise to the line rental I have paid but to the package but as line rental is part of the package that is exactly what they are doing  so they  do not understand the terms and conditions themselves , which from past experience is par for the course.  I  will endeavour to keep you informed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

The problem is that BT are using a confusing term when they call it "Line Rental Saver",  I have messaged BT on two recent ocassions asking them to clarify the wording but have not heard back from them. Possibly a better wording is "Broadband Package Saver".

Going over old grounds but from memory line rental was a separate entity to the actual Broadband and therefore when you paid LRS it did mean that the cost of the line rental would be met for the next 12 months.

However these day since line rental is included within the Broadband package (which collectively are subject to inflation plus 3.9%)  the situation now with LRS is that £19.99 is taken off your monthly bill as opposed to you not having to pay the line rental element of your Broadband package for the next 12 month.

A subtle difference nevertheless.

Message 5 of 12

I think BT deliberately  make things confusing and complicated so it is hard to compare prices with other providers. I want to stay with BT and I do not think I have much option as I am still on copper wire broadband . BT do test my patience though.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I think all other Broadband providers include the cost of line rental within their Broadband package, they are not separated out.

If this is the case then it should be possible to compare other suppliers Broadband packages agaist those of BT.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

As you say,  line rental is now included in  broadband packages  so  I suppose you know where you stand. This being the case line rental saver ought to be branded as something else. I rang BT today to register my complaint but I have now received a no- reply email to say my case has been closed.   The problem is they have yet to inform me that the case has been opened or of any outcome.  Why would I expect anything satisfactory?  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

The price change is before any discounts are applied, also known as the base price, see my example below and how your line rental saver (LRS) remains the same as does any agreed loyalty discounts.

For example your broadband which includes line rental is £50
You pay LRS and receive a £19.99 credit
You have a loyalty discount of £5

That makes your recurring charges £25.01

The price change of 14.4% is applied the base price, £50 becomes £57.20
You pay LRS and receive a £19.99 credit
You have a loyalty discount of £5

That makes your recurring charges £32.21 from April 1st

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand the calculation  and I know BT are covered in the small print but my view is that I have purchased 12 months line rental in advance  and now BT are going to charge me more for a service I have already paid for.  Small businesses would not get away with treating loyal customers like this so I do not see why BT should be able to.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I actually complained over the phone to BT but for what ever reason the case was closed straight away without explanation. I Reopened the case online and have received a telephone call to say my monthly bill would increase by £3 and not the £6  that  BT originally informed me would be the increase.  They are not  applying the increase to the line rental I have paid  in advance.    Therefore anyone who finds themselves  in the same situation should  find the BT online complaints form and be careful not to press the case closed button which is conveniently placed at the end of the communication box.  What I do not get is why a number of BT community  experts are vehemently  supporting BT in this situation. It's like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Kind regards,     (not so) irritated22

0 Ratings