cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Broadband renewal/upgrade question

My current package is due for renewal. Currently on a BT halo package guarantee download of 50mb as we are not full fibre. We also have 2 ee sim that get double data plus a discount for being with bt broadband. 

Last week I contacted bt to discuss moving onto full fibre either EE or BT plans with 150mb speeds. I was told as I am an existing customer this was not available and woukd have to get a faster speed I think its around 300mb.  Fair enough as with a discount applied  it was only about £4 more for double the speeds. As we do nit use a home phone I did not want this adding. Looking online thus is an additional £5 per month before any call package is added. I was then told Not having a phone service is not available to existing customers only those new to bt or ee can opt out of having the minimum.of a pay as you go phone service so this Is going to cost me £3 per month on top of the broadband for somthing I do not want. To save argument as I had been on hold for ages and had places to go I agreed to the new service and have the engineer due next week to install the full fibre. But what I really want to know is why on earth are they able to charge for phone line that I dint want yet a new customer can opt out of this. Is this a way to recoup the cost of sending out new hubs recently?. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband renewal/upgrade question

I suspect you have been "up sold" the package. EE do broadband without a landline and there is no reason that you can't.

Contact EE and tell them you want to be treated as a new customer, which you are to EE, or you will cancel the move  and just stay on your BT package at the moment while you look for a new provider.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Before talking to the salespeople make sure that you have looked at the website and built a package as if you are a new customer. Capture the details.

Next, if you are outside your minimum term but were a Halo customer check your stated benefits. One of mine as a Halo 1 customer was that I had the right to renew at the same price as a new customer, and I made clear at the start of the call that was the case.

Regarding the phone I made clear that I didn’t want it as part of the new contract. It was already Digital Voice. The salesperson read out a system message which said although I had to keep it as part of the order I was able to phone back immediately after the order completed to cancel at no charge. When I did phone back the call centre denied this was possible so I raised the matter on here and it was quickly reversed. If you want to avoid such hassle you may want to cancel your phone before you place the order. But also remember that the call is recorded so asking for explicit answers reduced the chance that incorrect information will be imparted.

In summary, be prepared and be assertive. Don’t be rushed into a decision - if you don’t feel you have been offered a fair deal stop the call. Your existing contract continues past the minimum term so you won’t get cut off if you delay, and in fact it strengthens your position if you remind them you can walk away to another supplier.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@steve1975 

I have a similar issue. I'm invited to renew online with BT, with the promise of saving money. In actual fact I'm quoted the same price but with telephony removed. I'm then forced to select PAYG, which I already have included in the price, for an extra £3 of Unlimited for a ludicrous £18. There is no option to progress without telephony.

My contract isn't due for renewal until November, so it would be stupid to opt into an 11% rise today with another 10% in March. This is nothing new as one of my very first posts on these forums many years ago hinged around the same issue. Being offered a higher priced renewal while still in contract. Incompetence or sharp practice, it's hard to tell. Either way I will likely be voting with my feet come November.

If BT/EE won't give  you  want, have a look at Plusnet. They no longer offer a phone service at all so that hurdle disappears immediately. You can probably get the speed you want as well, rather than the one that gives a salesman the best commission...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@rbz5416 You've obviously not noticed the change in the t&c's where bb packages now increase by a set amount of £3 each March & not a percentage

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@garybs29 

On the contrary, I've used the fixed price £3 that favours those on the most expensive packages, but is a higher percentage for those at entry level. So in my case, if I were daft enough to start paying an additional 11% now for something I already have for free, that £3 amounts to a further 10% rise. Someone on 900Mb with Halo3+ will pay the same £3, which is around 5%.

0 Ratings