cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Can my friend take over my bt devices in the same flat?

Go to solution

Now I am a postgraduate student, and on August 30, I will move back to my country, where I still have 3 months remaining on my broadband contract. My friend will take over the flat, including the remaining 3-month BT broadband contract (using the remainder of my contract). When my contract expires in November, can he create his own BT account but still use the same BT device (he wants to renew the contract but wants to use an account in his own name)? And what are the requirements?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can my friend take over my bt devices in the same flat?

Go to solution

@muhaiyin 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

As you are still the account owner, you are going to be responsible for any costs or misuse of the connection in the flat.

Its far better now if your friend to place their own order to takeover your line on the 30th August. Its most likely that they will receive new equipment, and may be asked to return what is already there.

If you leave it until after your contract ends, you will still be charged on a rolling monthly basis unless you ring BT to cancel, which is likely to be difficult from abroad.

If you do cancel that way, then its not going to be possible for your friend to get their own broadband, for about 10 days afterwards, as there will be a pending cease on you line.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, there is no problem with paying the rest of my contract until November, but can he renew the contract using his own account but using the same BT device?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@muhaiyin 

A new customer will receive a new home hub, but there is nothing to stop them using the existing equipment. However as your home hub is only on loan from BT, you would be changed if you do not return it to BT.

They would not be renewing an existing account, they would be starting a new contract in their name.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @muhaiyin   I believe the answer to that is no, he cannot take over your account. He has to apply for his own new account, and go through all the usual credit checks etc. The best course of action is for him to apply now for a line takeover. You will probably be charged an early termination fee.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you, I prefer to apply for early termination since my friend will move to my flat in early September. Do they have a BT support email where I can apply for that, or do I have to make a call?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @muhaiyin   You do not do anything. He applies to take over the line and this kicks off the switching procedure. Then BT will inform you that somebody is trying to take over your line, and give you the opportunity to stop them. The final bill follows automatically. If you cancel then you risk losing the telephone number (if you have one). 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

You will need to call BT on 0330 1234 150, that is the only way for you to cancel/

If your friend places an order to takeover the line from September, then that will automatically cancel your contract, and you will be informed that someone wants to takeover your line. You will need to let that happen. That is the best way to do it, to avoid loss of service.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for your feedback

0 Ratings