cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Cancel line rental saver.

Hi, I’ve just upgraded from FTTC to FTTP but opted not to have a landline as we just done use it. Now before I upgraded I called and spoke to a BT person and confirmed that FTTP without landline did not require line rental. 
the BT website states that if line renal saver is cancelled, and remaining months will be refunded.  But try as I might, I was not able to cancel this myself so I called up billing and was met with some resistant. The chap stated that there isn’t a way to cancel this. 
I explained that I was moving to a package that did not contain a phone line. He informed me that in that case the mine rental saver will be automatically cancelled but he did not fill me with confidence. Has anyone made the same move im making? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cancel line rental saver.

@meaga-byte 

Line rental is still needed, even if its FTTP, as that is what delvers your broadband, which is why its included in the price of broadband.

All you have stopped, is your phone service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Even with FTTP you still need to pay line rental.  This has been covered many times on the forum.  You need to pay line rental whether that if for the fibre or copper line otherwise you cannot get broadband.  However if you do not use your landline you can get broadband without ability to make or receive calls which will give you a small reduction in your package cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

This is exactly why I called BT first and made sure to ask that question. 
In fact I asked it twice with two separate phone calls. When going through the different options, only FTTP with landline mentioned line rental at all while the option without land line did not. Normally the prices shown during the order process do not take discounts into account as this is the max you’ll pay before discounts get added. The option with landline did show this while the option without was markedly less. 
Im ranting a little as I tried to do my homework first. I’m sure ofcom stated that line rental and BB are now bundled so when looking at renewals or upgrades you need to see the total price. 

Message 5 of 7

The BT package price should include the cost of line rental and you then just add on a call package or just PAYG.  alternatively you get a package that includes line rental but does not have ability to make or receive calls. This is what people are confusing that they are getting broadband without line rental

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 7

Line rental has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you have a 'Landline' phone service or not.

Line rental is included in all broadband packages, not sure how the line rental component is extracted when paying it via line rental saver.

Broadband packages without telephony capability attract a small discount, line rental still payable.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I understand what your both saying. 
im just annoyed that two service agents confirmed that this was not the case. When asked if the option I chose required like rental (phone line is Pay as you go) the answer was No. when asked if I’m okay to go and cancel my line rental saver the answer was yes. 
the new contact price is the same as I’m paying now just without the use of my landline so I assumed BT had bundled any required line rental into the BB contact price.