cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Cancellation fees

Go to solution

My Landlady recently informed me she has terminal cancer and her treatment has failed. As such she wants to get her affairs in order for the benefit of her family. Obviously that means terminating my rental lease and selling the property. Through no fault of my own I have to cancel my BT contract.

BT were totally unsympathetic to my plight insisting I pay an eye watering cancellation fee.  The only way I’ll be able to afford it is to pay in instalments. Is this permissible?

I will not be going back to BT.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cancellation fees

Go to solution

@jerrysteinhauer61 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

You have  entered into a contract with BT which has to be honoured, the same as it would with any other broadband provider.

You can transfer your service to another property using the BT Home Move process. That way you avoid having to pay the cancellation fee.

https://www.bt.com/manage/moving-home/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Unfortunately I’m moving to a new Persimmon home which has their own fibre net system pre installed. Persimmon won’t allow any other internet provider on the site.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@jerrysteinhauer61 

If BT cannot provide any service at your new property, including copper, then BT will cancel your contract without any charge.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/it-says-i-can-t-order-a-bt-landline--bt-broadband-or-bt-tv-at-my

"If you had BT services at your old address and we can't supply them your new one, you won't be liable for any termination charges."

You must however use the Home Move Process first, and if the team confirm that they cannot provide any service at your new address, then they will be able to provide the necessary confirmation to the billing team, that no service is possible, and arrange free cancellation, once you have moved. You will still need to pay your normal bill until that date.

The final bill which would be sent to your new address once you have moved in, so make sure you remember to pay it.