cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Cant downgrade to BT Essentials

I had a look at BT Essentials today what with the rising prices of everything and we are nearing the time the council will be blinded and still put up rents and council tax too, so i find the webpage where it says for new and existing customers , follow all the links and after the page where it asks for my NI number i get an error and to basically phone 150.

I do this and the guy says im on Halo 3 is it + and that i can't downgrade because i am in contract and there will be termination fees, but doesn't this totally go against what the social tariffs are supposed to be all about that you simply can't be out of contract with BT to be eligible to move to them.

Circumstances change and one reason for Halo was we had a lot of issues with the line about 18 months ago with constant disconnects where now its steady and the 4G router has only came on once in the middle of the night for less than 30 minutes,  am lot has changed in such a short time when it comes to food prices to this 50% increase in energy costs they are talking about, let alone rent then council tax increases coming soon too.

I can't get my head round BT offer these social tariffs , we are on universal credit from when originally on furlough but our jobs are low paid we so still get something even though furlough is well and truely over, yet when i have tried to look into them both online and on the phone say i can't change to them from the Halo package i am currently on , where all they offered on the phone was to change the phone package that isn't what i was phoning up to ask about!

Surely there must be a manual over ride that can be done to move an existing customer over from their current package to the essentials £20 package with any penalties or termination fees as its defeating the purpose of why these tariffs are stating availble to current as well as new customers especially when its not quite a normal downgrade its to a social tarriff designed for people on benefits.

Could i please be so kind for a moderator to maybe look into this for me please?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cant downgrade to BT Essentials

you could try going to a BT/EE shop on high street as they are now able to deal with 'Home Essential' application

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/02/bt-make-home-essentials-broadband-plan-available-on-hi...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Many thanks, i have sent an email to a higher level support at BT where i have had a reply saying someone will pick it up and hopefully get back to me within 48 hours, so we will see what comes when they get back to me.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

You are aware as well that if you go for it it's just bb without all the halo add on's so you'd have to send back the hybrid & disc(s) or be charged for them?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@cardy1970wrote:

I do this and the guy says im on Halo 3 is it + and that i can't downgrade because i am in contract and there will be termination fees

Totally incorrect, anyone who qualifies for Home Essentials can move to the social tariff anytime and without penalty, you would lose your Halo benefits though.

New or existing BT customers can apply. You’ll also need to be receiving one of these benefits to qualify:

• Universal Credit
    (all claimants)
  • Pension Credit
    (Guarantee Credit)

Don’t forget you’ll need your National Insurance number when you order, so we can check you’re eligible.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Got it sorted today from someone replying to the email i sent, move over tomorrow and need to send the hybrid router and wifi disc back which is a small minus to drop not far off £50 from the monthly bill.
0 Ratings