cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Caught in the BT EE merge trap!

I have been a BT customer for years. We have the full fibre 900 halo 3 complete WiFi and hybrid connect. The house is big so we have 6 extra discs. 3 that came with the package and 3 I bought from ebay. I noticed the bill had been heading north year on year. We currently pay 87 a month. As the contract runs out in Sept 24 I called yesterday to "moan at the price".

A 'guide' offered the same package for £70.99 although it would be branded as EE new. I had to sign up for another 24 months, and when queried about equipment she advised I could keep my existing equipment. Great I thought!

Later on I logged into the BT account to look at the order. I was shocked to see a new EE hub plus and one extender disc is in progress to be dispatched, and I have to return my hub and 3 discs (remember I bought an additional 3), or face a charge of 200 odd 

When I called to query I was told the EE router is newer and I have to upgrade the equipment.

This doesn't make sense. It's costing them more to change the equipment and I am happy with my setup!

I have cancelled the order while I figure out what's what.

The above is the short story. I got passed from pillar to post yesterday. The customer service varied from good to really poor. One person couldn't wait to cold transfer me when he realised I was now EE broadband not BT.

We also have two EE SIM only accounts. I renegotiated this deal now I was EE (!?). I've also had to cancel and revert back to existing ( we pay £11 a month x 2 for 20gb data... With EE broadband we were able to get unlimited data for £10. Annoyingly they didn't explain the download speed limit!)

Any help / guidance would be appreciated. £87 is getting ridiculous but our setup is great. The service of the fibre has been great. I feel like we are hostage to the cost unless we take the plunge on equipment!

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Caught in the BT EE merge trap!

@danwardale36 

Unless you are adamant that you want to stay in the BT/EE madhouse I would make them walk back any changes/new contract and get ready to leave in September.

You have FTTP on the Openreach network so there is an exceptionally wide choice of ISPs you can use to supply your core broadband service, many of which will deliver more competent support and fair service and pricing.

Google is your friend for validating offerings.

Next, invest in your own mesh WiFi system so that you are not reliant on substandard ISP kit, again Google and YouTube are your friend for research.

Lastly, there are a number of MVNO’s who run on the EE network and a quick Google shows me at least one that will offer you 25GB per month, on a rolling contract, with 4G/5G EU roaming and running at full speed as they use the core EE network for £10 per month.

A small amount of effort and some upfront expenditure will enable you to invest in a better, more flexible experience and you don’t need to be a tech wizard to do it.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED