cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Change provider when? How to sort email

Hi,

I want to move from BT to Plusnet - I have 31 days left on my BT contract.

I am just wondering when I should start the transfer/cancellation process, so I don't get charges for leaving early or paying more for the price rises to current BT contract.

I am also using BT (old yahoo email address) and don't want to lose it.   How do i go about keeping this? 

Kind regards

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Change provider when? How to sort email

@spluff 

You do not need to contact BT, just place your order with Plusnet, and they will inform BT that they are taking over the service.

BT Yahoo email went a long time ago, you must mean BT Internet email. It will revert to webmail only unless you payfor BT Premium mail.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Yes its the email within BT but it used to be yahoo and got ported over i think.  I was reading that you need to convert it to Basic before moving.  I dont even know what it is at the moment as i have never paid for Premium.

With regards to placing order with Plusnet - if i do it today (31 days left on my BT service)  - would I not get charged for leaving before my contract?   Would it not be better to do it in 2 weeks or 4 weeks?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

See link about the different types of email.

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

As far as I can remember your email account should automatically "downgrade" to BTMail Basic when you leave BT but you would be better to call BT to check once you have received the "Sorry to see you go" email/letter from BT once Plusnet have informed BT that you are leaving.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

ISP switches typically default to 14 days from date of order, but you can usually pick your own date after this. Try placing an order today & see if you can select your BT contract end date for the switch. You will see this date before committing to completing the order. A few days either way will be of little consequence as the amounts will be minimal.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

just checked and there was no date given or indication how long it would be....  I guess the safest option is to wait till 14 days before BT contract ends....

There isnt a 30 day notification period or something with BT?  

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@spluff 

Before you decide to move, make sure that the fibre cabinet is not full, otherwise you may have to wait quite a while before a connection becomes available. You do not retain your existing cabinet connection, its ceased, an a new connection is assigned.  Check the BT Broadband availability first, to make sure it does not say "Waiting List" against VDSL.

If the cabinet is on a waiting list, then your BT connection will be given to someone else, and you could have a long wait.

Message 8 of 9

Its a bit ridiculous if you are moving supplier.  Anyway is this okay?

exchange.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Its done that way to make it fair to all ISPs.

Provided it stays available by the time you pace your order, you should be fine.

0 Ratings