cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Changing to BT from TalkTalk when moving home

Apologies if this is a bit long and possibly overlaps with other boards.

At the moment, I have TT Fibre 65, a YOUVIEW box for NOW that gets me Sky Sports.

I will be moving to a new flat quite soon ( no precise date yet as tenancy agreement not finalised) and want to change from TT.

I would like BT broadband, comparable to Fibre 65, probably outdated now! I'm also looking at the Big Sport Pack as I would like BT Sport and Sky Sport. I assume a landline is thrown in?

I know that it's quite easy to switch provider if you remain in a property, but what happens if you move? Do I have to cancel TT and then order BT prior to moving or can BT do that for me so that I sync end date at this property and start at the new. I had a pretty bad time moving with TT last time, no internet for 8 days and the tethering didn't work in the new rental ( not TT's fault about that aspect).

The property I will be moving to has Virgin Media connected at present. Is connecting to BT likely to be straightforward?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Changing to BT from TalkTalk when moving home

if you know the new address then enter here and this will show what broadband packages are available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

You need to post a screenshot, the link just links to the form.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

TBH , if you are outside any minimum term , switching provider at your current address to BT then using the BT home mover service will have a better chance if keeping the phone number , if keeping the number is important , if the number isn’t important, then you can treat both companies separately, order at the new address with BT , advise TT you won’t need their service anymore at your old address, there doesn’t have to be any ‘link’ between the two orders, obviously if you do switch to BT at your current address , and then use home mover there is a link between the BT service at the old and new address, and BT coordinate the home mover , TT having no involvement after you moved away from them .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for that.
I think I'm making too much of this, nevertheless, just to say that 1) I have 6 months left on TT contract.
2) I don't want to keep the phone number
3) My main priority is to have the TT service ended, bill paid etc and have BT up and running on my move in date or the next day.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

If you still have 6 months left on TT contract then you need to. Intact TT and ask what the TT early termination cost is before moving to BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

It is pretty straightforward, if the place you intend to move into , currently has no Openreach service , you order with BT , with the date you expect to move in ( not much point ordering with a date before  , if access into the property is needed you won’t be there to provide it ) , if there is already someone living in there with an Openreach based service , if you order , and the current occupant hasn’t arranged to do something with their service ,( even though they are moving out )  your BT service could be delayed , if a letter has to be sent to the address saying someone ( you ) has asked to take over the line.
If the phone number doesn’t matter , you simply order with BT and you could  even take a no phone  service ( broadband only ) option if you wanted, it’s a little cheaper than phone and broadband .

If you have 6 months left of a minimum term with TT , then chances are early termination charges will be raised , simply contact TT and tell them when you want them to cease your service at that address. If you try and simply leave the TT service running , even though you won’t be able to use it ( because you have moved out ) if someone else moves into your old place and wants Openreach service , even if they want to use TT , it will raise a TT cease for your service (even if you don’t contact them) but could delay the new occupant getting their service started, and possibly start TT chasing you for the debt, best to just get the final bill and pay it , including any ETC