cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Contract renewed upon downgrading package?

I bought a broadband package back in 2017, but due to money problems I wanted the service downgraded, so I phoned up in February this year to ask to have the phone line removed. Now I check today and find that I have been entered into a 2 year contract starting from February this year. The only thing I can imagine is that due to BT not letting me modify my contract online, I was rushed due to having to read pages of terms and conditions on the phone (probably costing me more money the longer I took) while a guy I was talking to was waiting for me to finish.

What the heck? This seems so absurdly scummy that I can't believe I'm interpreting this correctly.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Contract renewed upon downgrading package?

If you have broadband you cannot remove the line rental but you can decide not to have the ability to make or receive calls which will give small reduction in cost  as £5 but on doing so you will start a new contract. This is Standard practice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@Eira wrote:

I bought a broadband package back in 2017, but due to money problems I wanted the service downgraded, so I phoned up in February this year to ask to have the phone line removed. Now I check today and find that I have been entered into a 2 year contract starting from February this year. The only thing I can imagine is that due to BT not letting me modify my contract online, I was rushed due to having to read pages of terms and conditions on the phone (probably costing me more money the longer I took) while a guy I was talking to was waiting for me to finish.

What the heck? This seems so absurdly scummy that I can't believe I'm interpreting this correctly.

Any change other than the removal of a call package will result in a new 2 year contract.

What was the actual change you made as ceasing your phone service  ( not sure what you actually mean by 'phone line removed') would have ceased your broadband.

You would also have received an email explaining that and would have had the chance to cancel within 14 days.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I see, thanks. So what happens if I can't pay? I'm bordering on homelessness atm and am kinda concerned I could be on the streets while collecting debt or something without being able to even keep track of it. I know of the early cancellation fee but no idea how to find out how much it is. What happens if I just don't pay?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I just checked my order summary, I went from Fiber with BT Halo 1, to Fiber 1. My landline status was changed to stop. I don't remember what emails I got, though I did remember reading Terms and Conditions or something on the phone while talking to the man, but I have pretty bad derealisation dissociative identity disorder so reading is very difficult for me under stress, so I must have missed a part about a new contract, and probably then went on to just assume that nothing in an email would have been anything worth investigating beyond what I read on the phone.

Also I'm not sure how to quote properly on this forum, apology for formatting.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The email your received after the phone call would have set out the contract which you had agreed over the phone and you would have had 14 days to cancel.  As you did not cancel then it is assumed you agreed the contract details and term.

Terminating contact early with about 20 months left on contract will be in£100s and should you not pay then eventually will be passed to debt collectors and your credit rating will be trashed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings