cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Digital voice and inclusive minutes - is it worth it?

Go to solution

Considering transfer to Digital Voice. Current landline package includes 700 mins of calls per month But have checked and we only - on average - use 45 mins of landline calls. So - would we save if we went PAYG for call charging? I have been trying to work out how much our current usage would be if these calls were charged on PAYG but cannot find anywhere which states this clearly.

Any one know a simple method for working this out? What's the usage point at which 700 inclusive mins becomes a better deal than PAYG? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Digital voice and inclusive minutes - is it worth it?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I saw that I just didn't believe it.

26p a minute???

That is astonishing.

That would mean the cros over point was 29 mins a month useage - use more than that and it's cheaper to be on the 700 mins a month calling plan .

Or have I got this wrong?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

If per chance you have a mobile phone with unlimited calls why even bother with a fixed landline phone regardless of what package is on offer. If you still want a landline phone you could still keep the landline on a PAYG and only use it for incoming calls. 

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

You'll be forced onto digital voice anyway sooner or later as the copper network is shutting down.

Dependant upon your mobile allowance, you may wish to use the landline for incoming calls only and make all outgoing calls from your mobile, that way you wouldn't need any calling allowance at all.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson wrote:

You'll be forced onto digital voice anyway sooner or later as the copper network is shutting down.

That's irrelevant, the call charges and plans are exactly the same for DV as analogue.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The only reason for keeping the landline is that there is zero mobile coverage inside the house owing to its construction. Zinc covered walls and roof on top of a concrete base means that we have effectively constructed a Faraday cage. Therefore no mobile calls in or out - unless we use Whats App calling or stand outside in the road.  Sure we can place VOIP calls over Whats App - but many of the services we may need to call eg GP, dentist do not use Whats App.... 

So I reckon we're stuck with the landline.  - at least for now.

It just irritates the hell out of me that we are probably going for 'Digital Voice' but the charges remain the same asmaking the calls over the old infrastructure. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

do your mobile phones not do wifi calling which helps when poor mobile signal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Yes they do - if we use an app such as What's App we can use the broadband for Wifi calling. Unfortunately some of the services we want to make calls to eg GP do not accept calls via Whats App...

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

That's not WiFi calling, you don't need an app you just call as normal using WiFi. Not all handsets and providers support it however.

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/2811843?hl=en-GB

0 Ratings