cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Discontinued BT Line Rental Saver

Go to solution

My BT Annual Line Rental Saver deal finishes at the end of April 2024, and as BT are no longer offering this deal, I am unable to renew it.  BT’s email to me says that if I’d like to change my package or view my current products and bills, just tap the button below.  This takes me to the My BT page where there is no mention that my deal is ending and no alternatives offered.  I can see nothing about what happens if I don't do anything.  Will I lose my BT line rental altogether or be transferred to some sort of default line rental?  They give no guidance whatsoever. 

After some faffing around for Landline deals, the only alternatives I can find are a Pay as You Go at approx. £28 a month or a 700 Minutes Plan at £46.40.  Currently I am on a 700 Minutes Plan, which started some time ago, and paying £9.12 monthly.  If I add the now defunct Line Rental Saver cost which equated to £19.99 a month, the total monthly bill (excluding Broadband) would be £28.31.  From 1st April, no doubt that would have increased to over £32.00 but with the demise of the Line Rental Saver, I’ll now be paying approximately £14.00 a month more if I go for the newer 700 Minutes Plan.  My apologies if this is confusing but I would really appreciate it if some kind person could tell me if I have got it right about the cost.  I will of course have to pay for BB on top of the £46.40.

One very disgruntled Easter Bunny.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Discontinued BT Line Rental Saver

Go to solution

You are conflating line rental and call charges which are 2 entirely different things.

Line rental is no longer charged as a separate item hence lrs is no longer available. All broadband packages included line rental in the price. Call packages can then be added.

I believe the 700 minutes package has also been withdrawn leaving just PAYG or unlimited.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your input.  I understand why you think I am conflating line rental and call charges.  I can confirm that my current Broadband package does not include Line Rental because I had the Annual Line Rental Saver deal.  It is valid until February 2025 and I cannot change my BB deal because I don't have the infrastructure in my area for Superfast BB or whatever the heck it is called. My BT now offers Unlimited Calls, including Line Rental, for £46.40 (I am sure it was called 700 Minutes when I checked this morning so they may have changed it as from today).  Anyway, my point is that it looks like I am having to pay £14.00 extra per month, and I was hoping someone could confirm that my assumption is correct.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

When your LRS ends, the cost of line rental will simply be added onto whatever you currently pay for broadband. So a typical total of around £30 plus the £9 odd for your calls package. So just shy of £40 all in.

When your contract ends next year, that is the time to look at alternatives broadband packages. You do not need to look at landline packages, which means telephony only, if such a thing still exists then. Because as @licquorice said, ALL broadband packages now include line rental to which you add your choice of call package..

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for that!  Yes, although the Unlimited Calls package at £46.40 includes line rental, it is indeed Landline Only.  That is why I thought I would have to take that on top of my BB package.  BT could have made it clearer.  It wouldn't have taken too much extra effort to compose a better email to all of us who have LRS coming to an end.  I have wasted nearly all day on this.  Are you reading this BT?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

All LRS ( line rental saver) became was a £20 per year discount for paying approximately £220 upfront,  you were credited ( for 12 months   , 1 credit per month ) of £20 , so 12x20=£240 ‘benefit’ for a £220 upfront cost.

If your LRS has ended , you will no longer get that £ 20 credit ( but you haven’t paid £220 upfront either  ) the net result should be your monthly new monthly payment needs to make up for the lack of the £20 LRS credit , so you will pay £20 more a month  , but it can’t be stressed enough , you haven’t paid £220 upfront either ….£20 a year is all you are worse off by with the removal of LRS , that’s £1.66 a month 

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you!

0 Ratings