cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Elderly parents with overpriced Broadband package

I have recently been trying to renegotiate my parents broadband package. They are currently tied in to a 24 month contract on Fibre Halo 3 due to them adding something to their package which they didn't realise would tie them to the broadband package way beyond their requirements.

They are both 80+ and use the Internet for occasional browsing no gaming or streaming as they wouldn't know where to begin.

They have been BT customers for nearly 50 years and BT would have had sight of their usage when renewing their package. It seems disingenuous  that they were not pointed towards a more suitable, reasonably priced option. 

I have managed to get some money off their package this morning by essentially removing some services. They have been moved to Fibre 1 but still at £52,99 per month (£30 more than the advertised price). This does not feel like a "discount" more a downgrade for less services.

I appreciate my parents accepted the package over the phone but am not convinced they entirely understood their options. I also accept BT is a business out to make money, as was bluntly pointed out to me when speaking to the advisor. I just feel they have been treated unfairly and wonder how many other pensioners out there are on overspec'd overpriced contract out of misplaced company loyalty and familiarity.

No idea if raising a complaint is going to alter their stance or practices. Having already spent 2 hours or more on the phone trying to sort something I don't hold out much hope.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Elderly parents with overpriced Broadband package

as Halo 3 is an add on did you manage to remove that and reduce cost?  do the have a calls package - 700 minutes or unlimited - which is also an extra cost to the basic package?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

They have removed the Halo 3, moving back to Fibre 1 but this is still being charged at £52.99. Essentially I was told they aren't going to remove £20 or so pounds from a 2 year broadband  contract, as they were a business needing to make money. Removed the calls package and they have given a small discount on another item but it hasn't made much of a dent in the overall bill. I was quoted £812 + 1 months notice charges to end the contract.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

you could try the options team 0800800030 and see if you can get a better response from there

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Is Fibre compulsory nowadays? I assume ADSL, which I have is no longer an option. As an 'elderly' old person I have no need for very high speeds - 17Mbps is quite fast enough for me but I seem to be in the minority these days.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@Sturne 

Do your parents qualify for the essentials package?

https://www.bt.com/broadband/home-essentials

0 Ratings